Separated Dads
Help Needed - Printable Version

+- Separated Dads (http://www.separateddads.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome to the Separated Dads forum (http://www.separateddads.co.uk/forum/forum-19.html)
+--- Forum: Contact & Residence Issues, Problems with Child Arrangements (http://www.separateddads.co.uk/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Help Needed (/thread-8017.html)

Help Needed - AndyX26 - 10-29-2018

I am a single father of 2 boys, my ex an I split when our children were 7 and 17 months old. from that time (5 yrs) I have looked after my children alone with little input or assistance from their mother. Recently I have had to stop overnight visits to their mother as she threatened to not return them if I contacted child maintenance to get money for the children but I had to do this due to financial difficulties increasing and needing more help financially towards the boys needs. 

I have received a letter from her solicitor last week advising that she is applying for full custody and to be honest I am scared for the first time since having them. I am going to have to represent myself due to cost for legal representation and am unsure of my rights and the process that will be involved.

I am looking for any help with the process I may be faced with, how to deal with her solicitor and the miss information she has already given. 

Any legal advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. currently there is no order in place and this is the first legal action taken by either of us.

Thank you in advance.

RE: Help Needed - invisibleintellectual - 10-29-2018

First off, your doing a great job as a dad Smile

Secondly - dont sweat it - if you have had the kids all this time (and I am pretty sure you can prove it), then you have little to worry about. I also assume you can prove that this action has stemmed from this.

I wouldnt worry about her lawyers letter, I can go to a lawyers and get them to issue a letter for me - wait until she invites you to mediation and then ask more questions here - you dont need a lawyer for the family courts.

RE: Help Needed - AndyX26 - 10-29-2018

(10-29-2018, 11:49 AM)invisibleintellectual Wrote: First off, your doing a great job as a dad Smile

Secondly - dont sweat it - if you have had the kids all this time (and I am pretty sure you can prove it), then you have little to worry about.  I also assume you can prove that this action has stemmed from this.

I wouldnt worry about her lawyers letter, I can go to a lawyers and get them to issue a letter for me - wait until she invites you to mediation and then ask more questions here - you dont need a lawyer for the family courts.

Thanks yeah we have had separate addresses since the split and the children have been in childcare and school from this address since old enough, I also have messages of visits from their mother. 

in the letter from the solicitors it states she contacted a mediation service and got no response but I did not receive any request or contact as far as I am aware. 

I can also show any request for better financial assistance has been met with hostility.

RE: Help Needed - invisibleintellectual - 10-29-2018

Ask them to prove the mediation service, they would have called you on your mobile (or whatever she gave them to contact you on).