Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help
Hi i left my ex wife 5 years ago when my son was 13 , and he has not spoke to me since but i have always paid maintenance , and up to now i have just tried to make contact. Recently i learnt that he left the college he started at in 2014 . I do not have an issue paying maintenance but i want to know he is in education. The maintance have said it down to me to prove he is not in college , i have tried to find out but they say its data protection as to why they cant tell me , so i visited them at the house and they wont provide me with proof so were to i go now what do i do .
thanks in advance for any advise
How do you pay maintenance? Is it direct to parent, direct to CSA or have CSA garnished your wages?

General rule is as long as Child Benefit is paid to receiving parent then Child Maintenance is still to be paid.
(04-05-2016, 08:05 AM)Norfolk n Good Wrote: How do you pay maintenance? Is it direct to parent, direct to CSA or have CSA garnished your wages?

General rule is as long as Child Benefit is paid to receiving parent then Child Maintenance is still to be paid.

Hi there thanks for your response yes i pay direct pay , they work out how much how much i need to pay and then i pay direct, so we have to go with the flow if they are in receipt of child benefit then its to be paid , the child maintenance have said its up to me prove he goes as some time they enroll in college and just dont go very greatful for you help
(04-05-2016, 08:16 AM)robmarklew Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 08:05 AM)Norfolk n Good Wrote: How do you pay maintenance? Is it direct to parent, direct to CSA or have CSA garnished your wages?

Hi there thanks for your response yes i pay direct pay , they work out how much how much i need to pay and then i pay direct, so we have to go with the flow if they are in receipt of child benefit then its to be paid , the child maintenance have said its up to me prove he goes as some time they enroll in college and just dont go very greatful for you help

Try calling child benefit. Assuming you have PR for him, they have to tell you if there is a live claim for his child benefit. They do not need to tell you the details of it, just if one exists.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
If you pay the parent direct then I'd be considering writing to the parent stating that your payments will cease and will not resume until you have proof of CB being paid. If you do that, put the sums you'd hand over to one side so you could, if necessary reinstate payments immediately so that you don't have any arrears which might confuse the issue. You have a duty to pay it, but your ex also has a duty to prove she's entitled to receive it. No proof = no payment.