Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court Orders
hi, i am considering applying for several special arrangements/ contact orders regarding my children, and im wondering whether i would be expected to attend the court closest to where my children live with their mother, or if i could communicate applications/ court process from a distance. my kids live with their mother in south england and i am now living in northern ireland. chrz
Hi,

The way I understand the law is that the court closest to where your children live or are resident has the jurisdiction.

If you apply to the court then that would be a UK court and I would assume English law will be applied unless you have made an arrangement with your ex. I don't know the differences between the laws in the UK and NIR but assume it's not much of a difference.

For the hearings I believe you would be expected to travel to the U.K.

F.
(12-07-2016, 11:27 PM)Frisbos Wrote: Hi,

The way I understand the law is that the court closest to where your children live or are resident has the jurisdiction.

If you apply to the court then that would be a UK court and I would assume English law will be applied unless you have made an arrangement with your ex. I don't know the differences between the laws in the UK and NIR but assume it's not much of a difference.

For the hearings I believe you would be expected to travel to the U.K.

F.

Where the person making an application is in the UK, and the location of the Child is known, its the court for the area the child is in where hearings take place.

In a "whereabouts not known" case, it would be your local court, but once found by the court, the other person can apply to have the venue changed to be their local court.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex Partner and children missing to avoid compliance with court orders tone1 6 7,330 05-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Last Post: tone1
  Court Orders - just words? LotsofpainNogain 7 7,985 12-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Patrick_E
  Access - Flexibility in Court Orders? Cornish72 3 5,867 12-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Last Post: MarkR