Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on legal obligations
I'm after a bit of advice.

I split with my ex 4 years ago and we've been divorced for 2.  She has always been very controlling and manipulative (that's not just me it's seems to be a common theme from friends and family.)

She has always made it awkward for me to see my children and they have often said they get told off or in trouble if they say they like spending time with me.  They also tells me she says a lot of very unpleasant things about me to them and they're quite frightened of doing the wrong thing and getting told off.  They're 11 & 9 and i don't want to put them through an unpleasant custody battle (although the more this goes on I'm tempted!)

My question is, I have my children every other weekend and we tend to spend this at my girlfriends house as the kids enjoy spending time with her and children.  We sleep over on a Saturday night.

I actually live with my parents and we sometimes stay there on a weekend (but not that often.)

My ex is now asking for the name and address of my girlfriend and claims she has a 'legal right' to this information.  Although both I and my 11 year old son are contactable on our mobiles this doesn't seem to be enough for her.

We're reluctant to give her any information as she has a history of making life unpleasant for people (especially me) an we're worried she may use it inappropriately.

I'd really appreciate some advice on where I stand legally.

Cheers
(01-08-2017, 06:48 PM)Sheatho76 Wrote: I'm after a bit of advice.

I split with my ex 4 years ago and we've been divorced for 2.  She has always been very controlling and manipulative (that's not just me it's seems to be a common theme from friends and family.)

She has always made it awkward for me to see my children and they have often said they get told off or in trouble if they say they like spending time with me.  They also tells me she says a lot of very unpleasant things about me to them and they're quite frightened of doing the wrong thing and getting told off.  They're 11 & 9 and i don't want to put them through an unpleasant custody battle (although the more this goes on I'm tempted!)

My question is, I have my children every other weekend and we tend to spend this at my girlfriends house as the kids enjoy spending time with her and children.  We sleep over on a Saturday night.

I actually live with my parents and we sometimes stay there on a weekend (but not that often.)

My ex is now asking for the name and address of my girlfriend and claims she has a 'legal right' to this information.  Although both I and my 11 year old son are contactable on our mobiles this doesn't seem to be enough for her.

We're reluctant to give her any information as she has a history of making life unpleasant for people (especially me) an we're worried she may use it inappropriately.

I'd really appreciate some advice on where I stand legally.

Cheers

Your ex has no legal right to any information.

Assuming your have PR, you are on the same legal standing as your ex if no court order exists, and as such you will make the decision on who your children come into contact with when with you. If a Child Arrangements Order exists, in fact the court has put the child in your care for contact time, so her opinion legally does not come into this.

Your ex has a legal right to do a Sarah's Law application on anyone you are allowing the children to come into contact with, but there is no legal requirement for you to assist or in any way facilitate this happening. This is her right she can carry out on her own.

Her only way to stop who the children come into contact with is by way of Specific Issue or Prohibited Steps Court Order, for for either she would have to evidence a Child Welfare/Protection Issue with that person.

If a Court Order exists, it remains valid until such a time when an application is made to stay or vary it, so if she stops contact before direction from a court, put in a C79 Application for Enforcement soon as any aspect of the court order is not followed.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Accurate Legal Advice Peggy9 1 2,551 11-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Charlie7000
  legal advice carlfoulkes 1 4,090 05-09-2016, 01:49 AM
Last Post: MarkR