Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Dads really have no support network?
Got into work this morning and a Homeless man was sleeping at the door. After waking him up i asked if he could move so i could gain access to the building. Noticing he was so cold i offered him a coffee before he had to be on his way and i asked why he was homeless. 

He advised he separated from his partner who got the house with his four kids and he has to sleep rough as the council wouldn't help him, he advised that shelter/YMCA is helping with a roof over his head, but has to wait another 3 days. 

As I have just recently separated from my wife and without some sort of support network (parents, friends etc), i would be in the same situation. Makes you realise that Dads have it hard mentally, emotionally and physically.

Interestingly my ex-wife got a phone call from maintenance checking she is okay etc, however i never got such a phone call!

Do Dads really have no support network, especially after a separation? 

I was wondering what people think?

“But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.” 
― Viktor E. FranklMan's Search for Meaning
It seems to differ from person to person. There isn't a well defined path back to "normalness" and it is one I am discovering.

Personally, I have been fortunate to have a very supportive family, even from the Ex's side.

I cannot imagine the pain some blokes must got through when they have their lives reset, and no-one to turn to.

It really is one of the hardest things to go through, and I think we only seem to get respect from other dads in a similar position!
(01-11-2017, 07:20 AM)andreww Wrote: Got into work this morning and a Homeless man was sleeping at the door. After waking him up i asked if he could move so i could gain access to the building. Noticing he was so cold i offered him a coffee before he had to be on his way and i asked why he was homeless. 

He advised he separated from his partner who got the house with his four kids and he has to sleep rough as the council wouldn't help him, he advised that shelter/YMCA is helping with a roof over his head, but has to wait another 3 days. 

As I have just recently separated from my wife and without some sort of support network (parents, friends etc), i would be in the same situation. Makes you realise that Dads have it hard mentally, emotionally and physically.

Interestingly my ex-wife got a phone call from maintenance checking she is okay etc, however i never got such a phone call!

Do Dads really have no support network, especially after a separation? 

I was wondering what people think?

“But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.” 
― Viktor E. FranklMan's Search for Meaning
His reasons for being homeless would need to be looked at by the local authority, but in general due to lack of housing, they are just trying to find ways of discharging their legal obligations. In most cases, moving out without being put out by a bailiff means you left voluntarily!!!!!!
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Local authorities don't home dad's in the north west . I lived in my car for 2 months
They dont house homeless dads in the south either.
Unless you have kids, are vulnerable or an immigrant then you literally have no where to go.
Councils I am afraid, have no legal obligation to house you unless you meet the criteria, Kids, legally allowed to be in UK and vulnerable. meet these criteria then you will get emergency housing, or so they say, the rules vary from council to another and are convoluted to say the least. trying to prove involuntary homeless is very hard.
I slept in my car for close to the same as Jamesbond, and managed to cadge a sofa with a female mate, whom became enveloped into the divorce as she was cited as a 3rd party as if I had run away with her, and then she chucked me out.

It's dire, its sucks and noone could give a damn. I bet if you spoke to a lot of homeless guys and tramps, they would have something of a story like thisd
Dads do have it bad but there is always a way back and through it. 

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advic..._in_london