Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Bed vs 3? 3 kids. Thoughts & experiences
Hi,

Realize, this is trivial compared to a lot of issues on here, just hoping to get the benefit of your experiences.

I've 3 children (1 boy [6], 2 girls [10 & 13]) and looking to move into a new home. The dilemma is going for a 2 bed (kids all in 1 room) or 3 (boys n girls room)?  They will be staying with me every other weekend 1 week night and 50/50 in holiday times.

Concerned 2 beds will be too small, not just playing but quiet time for homework especially when winter comes (marital home large 3 bed).  Can just afford a 3 bed but max out on monthly budget.  2 bed saves me £200 p/m which I can spend on kids taking them out.  All houses in the area the same, just some with double extensions for the 3 bed.  

Cheers
C2000
(05-12-2016, 11:05 AM)Chris2000 Wrote: Hi,

Realize, this is trivial compared to a lot of issues on here, just hoping to get the benefit of your experiences.

I've 3 children (1 boy [6], 2 girls [10 & 13]) and looking to move into a new home. The dilemma is going for a 2 bed (kids all in 1 room) or 3 (boys n girls room)?  They will be staying with me every other weekend 1 week night and 50/50 in holiday times.

Concerned 2 beds will be too small, not just playing but quiet time for homework especially when winter comes (marital home large 3 bed).  Can just afford a 3 bed but max out on monthly budget.  2 bed saves me £200 p/m which I can spend on kids taking them out.  All houses in the area the same, just some with double extensions for the 3 bed.  

Cheers
C2000

There is a differnce between what you need as the Resident Parent (who gets the Child Benefit) and what you need for contact.

In your case, as they are with your ex for more than 51% of the time, its a contact situation, so does not come under normal rules.

You need to provide a bed each for the girls, and this should not idealy be in the same room as you, or your son as they are over 10.

You son should have his own bed, but can be in the same room as you.

Under Social Housing and Housing Benefit Rules, should you be making a claim, you are only allowed 1 bedroom, so in Social Housing Bedroom Tax would kick in, and in a Private Rent the claim would be based on the Local Housing Allowance for a 1 bedroom.

It would be acceptable for you to have a 1 bedroom, and either the you and your son, or the girls sleeping in a living room, as long as there is no Gas Fire in it.

Here is a link to an benefit checker, but bear in mind when filling it in, your single on your own as your ex is the Resident Parent. http://www.entitledto.co.uk

Section 329 of the Housing Act 1985 protects you from action on overcrowding, as its short term (defined as not longer than 28 days at a time) visiting relatives.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(05-12-2016, 11:40 AM)MarkR Wrote:

Cheers
C2000

There is a differnce between what you need as the Resident Parent (who gets the Child Benefit) and what you need for contact.

In your case, as they are with your ex for more than 51% of the time, its a contact situation, so does not come under normal rules.

You need to provide a bed each for the girls, and this should not idealy be in the same room as you, or your son as they are over 10.

Under Social Housing and Housing Benefit Rules, should you be making a claim, you are only allowed 1 bedroom, so in Social Housing Bedroom Tax would kick in, and in a Private Rent the claim would be based on the Local Housing Allowance for a 1 bedroom.

It would be acceptable for you to have a 1 bedroom, and either the you and your son, or the girls sleeping in a living room, as long as there is no Gas Fire in it.

Here is a link to an benefit checker, but bear in mind when filling it in, your single on your own as your ex is the Resident Parent. http://www.entitledto.co.uk

Section 329 of the Housing Act 1985 protects you from action on overcrowding, as its short term (defined as not longer than 28 days at a time) visiting relatives.

Thx for the details, I didn't about the housing act I'll take a look.  In regards to the benefit checker and assuming input is correct, how accurate are these online ones?

Cheers
C2000
(05-12-2016, 01:44 PM)Chris2000 Wrote:

Cheers
C2000

Thx for the details, I didn't about the housing act I'll take a look.  In regards to the benefit checker and assuming input is correct, how accurate are these online ones?

Cheers
C2000

The entiteled to is very up to date, it checks any welfare benefit you can get. You just need to make sure where it asks about children, as its only the person who get the Child Benefit that can now have occupancy considered.

The reason why I included the Housing Act 1985 Section 329 is often ex partners will claim the other parents house is to small, to stop any staying contact happening (as also in then means more child support if no staying contact). Section 329 defines a house as not being overcrowed if the situation is brought about by short term visiting relatives.

For contact your fine with a 1 bedroom and using a living room if no gas fire, or you need 2 bedrooms, but for any housing benefit claim it will only be based on 1 room allowed.

The resident parent would need
1, 1 bedroom per adult or couple over 16
2, 2 Children of the same sex should share up to 16
3, 2 Children of different sex can share till one of them becomes 10.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(05-12-2016, 02:11 PM)MarkR Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 01:44 PM)Chris2000 Wrote:

Cheers
C2000

Cheers
C2000

The entiteled to is very up to date, it checks any welfare benefit you can get. You just need to make sure where it asks about children, as its only the person who get the Child Benefit that can now have occupancy considered.

The reason why I included the Housing Act 1985 Section 329 is often ex partners will claim the other parents house is to small, to stop any staying contact happening (as also in then means more child support if no staying contact). Section 329 defines a house as not being overcrowed if the situation is brought about by short term visiting relatives.

For contact your fine with a 1 bedroom and using a living room if no gas fire, or you need 2 bedrooms, but for any housing benefit claim it will only be based on 1 room allowed.

The resident parent would need
1, 1 bedroom per adult or couple over 16
2, 2 Children of the same sex should share up to 16
3, 2 Children of different sex can share till one of them becomes 10.

Thx MarkR, that was the concern.  "Discussed" this issue with ex again, using that as ref', I don't expect the subject to be raised again. Smile