Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
housing my child
Hi Guys

I own 2 houses and rent them out, myself and my fiance live in rented accomodation with her 2 children. My daughter comes to stay friday to monday and alternate tuesdays and thursdays aswell as over half the holidays.

I was never married to my daughters mother, i gave her a lump sum and pay triple what cms calculater says i need to,aswell as 1/2 her private school fees. My daughter has her own bedroom at our house.

My ex keeps saying i need to house her until she is 20 but the child act of 1989 is a bit grey on weather i need to do this. ive suggested thats fine as she can come and live with us and go see her mum alternate weekends and 1 night aweek but obviously the mum doesnt want that as will loose maintenance.

Can anyone shed any light on where i stand?

Thanks in advance
(02-01-2017, 10:22 AM)Chris1 Wrote: Hi Guys

I own 2 houses and rent them out, myself and my fiance live in rented accomodation with her 2 children. My daughter comes to stay friday to monday and alternate tuesdays and thursdays aswell as over half the holidays.

I was never married to my daughters mother, i gave her a lump sum and pay triple what cms calculater says i need to,aswell as 1/2 her private school fees. My daughter has her own bedroom at our house.

My ex keeps saying i need to house her until she is 20 but the child act of 1989 is a bit grey on weather i need to do this. ive suggested thats fine as she can come and live with us and go see her mum alternate weekends and 1 night aweek but obviously the mum doesnt want that as will loose maintenance.

Can anyone shed any light on where i stand?

Thanks in advance
It is up to the Parent who gets the Child Benefit to arrange the housing for the Child. How it works is that parent can access the Welfare Benefit System, if needed, so she would be at the level that the law says she needs coming in per week, taking into account her current income and the income of any other household members she has.

If she fails in her duty to house the child, then that would be part of your Position Statement to contest Residency, as you can offer the child a home.

A Resident Parent must have
a, 1 bedroom for every single person or couple over 16.
b, 2 Children of the same sex can share
c, 2 Children under 10 regardless of sex can share.

For contact this is not the same, as its no longer considered acceptable to have spare bedrooms just for contact.
Children under 10 can share with anyone.
Children over 10 can only share with people of the same sex.
Its acceptable for contact to use a living room as a sleeping area, as long as no gas fire in it.

Your only obligation is to pay Child Support, and this is only while Child Benefit is in payment (or if it would be if earnings was not above the recent threshold).
This might end the summer after 16, or carry on till the summer after 19. Any cost while the child is with you are also yours.

If she has any sort of claim on the houses you rent out, she might be able to gain occupancy of 1 of them, but should that happen your income is going to do down, so her Child Support Payment would.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.