Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paternity test
Situation
I'm the father of two children who live with mum (6 year old boy and 9 year old girl)
Weve been separated for years but there is a contact order in place with regular contact occurring without too many problems, including holidays.
I pay regular child maintenance.

Doubt
I'm not sure if I am the biological father but I am the named father on the birth certificates.

Question
How would a paternity test influence
A: child maintenance?
B: the contact order?
C: the actual contact with the children?

I'm keen to retain my relationship with the children obviously.

Any information would be useful.
Hey,

Tough one because there is fathering a child and there is being a 'Dad' to a child and those 2 things don't have to be the same

If the kid isn't yours, technically you don't need to pay CMS and your ex should go and find the real father... but don't automate that decision... who would suffer? Only the kid especially if biological dad decides to disappear on receiving the news of his new responsibility - he could be anywhere and his situation could be anything BUT he would be responsible to financially support his kid

Contact: see point 1... do you consider yourself as a dad to the child then you'd want to keep that and the kid would want you around so probably one to work out with the ex after the results... a good dad is worth a million sperm donors.
If the other guy is absent and wants nothing to do (we don't know this yet) but that kid needs you as much as you need him/her no matter what the results

Question for you - will you do the test without informing the ex? Will the kids not tell her that they've been for an appointment / test?
Can you talk to her 1st - maybe you did already - maybe that's why there is doubt?

Good luck
(04-03-2017, 01:10 PM)Danijgrodrigues Wrote: Situation
I'm the father of two children who live with mum (6 year old boy and 9 year old girl)
Weve been separated for  years but there is a contact order in place with regular contact occurring without too many problems, including holidays.
I pay regular child maintenance.

Doubt
I'm not sure if I am the biological father but I am the named father on the birth certificates.

Question
How would a paternity test influence
A: child maintenance?
B: the contact order?
C: the actual contact with the children?

I'm keen to retain my relationship with the children obviously.

Any information would be useful.

a, Only the natural father is required to support the child
b, Your ex would have grounds to stay or vary it. However, you might have a case with the 6 year old, to apply for PR under father by assumption rules.
c, Without PR you have no legal standing over the child, but as above, look into father by assumption rules to gain PR if needed.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Contact and DNA Test byrondjones 6 7,473 07-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Frisbos