Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing the locks?
Hi,

I wasn't sure were to put this one, please feel free to move it.

My brother has attended his first mediation miam meeting and raised some valid points for his children's wellbeing and I suspect this will not go over too well with his ex wife.

He currently is living in the marital home alone and is covering her half of the mortgage short term. She left the property with the children when they split but has been suggesting she is moving back in at some point (which he is fine with as its half hers).

If she threatens him over the mediation or he fears for his safety is he then legally allowed to change the locks to prevent her access for his own safety?

Thanks
(05-05-2017, 11:18 AM)ConcernedUncle Wrote: Hi,

I wasn't sure were to put this one, please feel free to move it.

My brother has attended his first mediation miam meeting and raised some valid points for his children's wellbeing and I suspect this will not go over too well with his ex wife.

He currently is living in the marital home alone and is covering her half of the mortgage short term. She left the property with the children when they split but has been suggesting she is moving back in at some point (which he is fine with as its half hers).

If she threatens him over the mediation or he fears for his safety is he then legally allowed to change the locks to prevent her access for his own safety?

Thanks

If she has been away for 28 days, or he can prove she has rented or brought her own place making it no longer her primary home, he can do this.
He rights as the same as a landlord still, where shes allowed access by notice, to check for damage or carry out repairs.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
She is in her own place and has been for months. Does that mean he can go ahead and change the locks without fear for his safety?
(05-05-2017, 07:16 PM)ConcernedUncle Wrote: She is in her own place and has been for months. Does that mean he can go ahead and change the locks without fear for his safety?

His reason for doing it, is its not longer her Primary Home.

If fear for safety, he needs to be looking at None Molestation Orders etc.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.