Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applied for child benefit...
As title. I've applied for child benefit now that my child has been with me for over a month now, and not a penny of the child benefit seen by my child (her mother is still claiming it).

I've recently read a post that they'll ask for me to prove she's been here... I have none. I haven't had to go to court, so no papers. All I have is the fact she's here and not there. I suppose I could get the nursery to write me a letter up telling them that what I say is true... other than that I'm stumped.

Any advise would be greatly received. Thanks
(07-21-2017, 05:43 PM)Jaz184 Wrote: As title. I've applied for child benefit now that my child has been with me for over a month now, and not a penny of the child benefit seen by my child (her mother is still claiming it).

I've recently read a post that they'll ask for me to prove she's been here... I have none. I haven't had to go to court, so no papers. All I have is the fact she's here and not there. I suppose I could get the nursery to write me a letter up telling them that what I say is true... other than that I'm stumped.

Any advise would be greatly received. Thanks

They should write to you if its with the Rivel Claim Unit.

Put in a claim for Tax Credits also, as it will be backdated till when you claim from.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk might flag up other help you can get.

If no joy, ask your MP to write to them for you.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
I did a benefit calculator, apparently I can't get child tax credits. But do need to look at working tax credits .

Thank you for your prompt reply.
(07-21-2017, 06:28 PM)Jaz184 Wrote: I did a benefit calculator, apparently I can't get child tax credits. But do need to look at working tax credits .

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Also, if you get Child Benefit, then via Working Tax Credit, you can get 70% of approved child care costs paid. It must be registerd childminder or ofstead aproved.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Apparently in my area it's become Universal Credit now, and I'll get 5400 of assistance with childcare costs and a massive reduction to my council tax
The calculator that was posted above does both child and tax credits. Have a go at it.

With one child you will only get child tax credits ( or tax credits ) if you earn below £30k and the closer you are to £30k the less you get.  sometimes you can get 0 tax credits but still get some child tax credits.

If you pay into a pension via work use your p60 figure for income not gross figure.

(07-21-2017, 08:10 PM)Jaz184 Wrote: Apparently in my area it's become Universal Credit now, and I'll get 5400 of assistance with childcare costs and a massive reduction to my council tax

Excellent
Because I live with my partner it did say we don't get tax credits, but are both together earning less than 30k (household income).

I do find this all confusing. Thanks for all replies, will investigate further.
(07-22-2017, 11:23 AM)Jaz184 Wrote: Because I live with my partner it did say we don't get tax credits, but are both together earning less than 30k (household income).

I do find this all confusing. Thanks for all replies, will investigate further.

As you live in an area using the new universal credit system its not the same.

Try this link, https://universal-benefit-calculator.co....rsalcredit

Universal Credit replaced ESA and JSA, as well as Tax Credits and Housing Benefit. Its just one monthly payment you get to cover it all.

How it works is it looks at your earnings, and if renting, how many bedrooms under the law you need, and what the local housing allowance is. (In the case of some Social Housing, Council or Housing Trusts it will look at what your rent is, if its lower than the LHA).

The law says you need a set amount of money, after paying your rent (based on LHA or less). This is called an applicable amount, what considers
a, if your single or a couple
b, if anyone gets DLA or PIP
c, how many children you have

In the case of a single person, the AA moves up by £25 if your working 16 hours a week, and there is futher increases at 24 and 30 hours.
For couples, it moves if you both exceed 16 hours work, or if 1 of you exceed 24 hours by £25, and futher increases if either of you exceed 30 hours.

Where you have aproved chilld care costs (Ofstead Aproved Provider or Registered Child Minder) you can still get up to 70% of them costs factored in, subject to the normal means  testing.

Child Benefit or Child Support is not counted as income when working this out, but any other income is, and most things will result in a Pound for Pound reduction to benefit.

This is why the Goverment can say your better off in work, as the changes to the AA are £25-40, more if someone in the household is on DLA or PIP.
Thank you, MarkR.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Child Benefit Claims boyce57 1 694 10-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Fatcat1980
  Child Benefit reclaim letter miker_71uk 12 7,977 08-29-2019, 08:57 AM
Last Post: miker_71uk
  Child benefit – shared care Goetia 27 17,202 07-18-2019, 05:27 AM
Last Post: juddermeister
  Child benefit / maintenance markrugby 2 2,693 11-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Hazy
  Child Benefit Counter claim luhkyuht23 2 2,559 10-29-2018, 01:18 PM