Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to pay or not to pay--- while cms assessment is under review
hi all...

i have this under another thread but maybe best answered separately incase it helps future searchers...(as well as me of course).

Took some great advice from your users and logged cms case today so my question is..

ive paid maintenance ever since my and ex split..... without fail... every month (3 yrs).

on the call today... the agent said something about if the ex doesn't agree to the recommended payment amount, that i need to keep all money to one side in  case she does eventually agree...

i asked him to clarify whether i should keep paying the current amount i pay until she agrees but he wasnt clear at all......

.... he actually inferred not to pay anything while its under review .... 

.....this in a sense holds her money to ransom .... its a bit callas.... but what is the opinion of those who have been through it already.

do i continue paying current maintenance (which is well over the cms assessment anyway).....?
or do i stop immediately until she agrees to the amount (which i pretty much guarantee will be lower than i've been paying)....?
(07-24-2017, 07:00 PM)splreece Wrote: hi all...

i have this under another thread but maybe best answered separately incase it helps future searchers...(as well as me of course).

Took some great advice from your users and logged cms case today so my question is..

ive paid maintenance ever since my and ex split..... without fail... every month (3 yrs).

on the call today... the agent said something about if the ex doesn't agree to the recommended payment amount, that i need to keep all money to one side in  case she does eventually agree...

i asked him to clarify whether i should keep paying the current amount i pay until she agrees but he wasnt clear at all......

.... he actually inferred not to pay anything while its under review .... 

.....this in a sense holds her money to ransom .... its a bit callas.... but what is the opinion of those who have been through it already.

do i continue paying current maintenance (which is well over the cms assessment anyway).....?
or do i stop immediately until she agrees to the amount (which i pretty much guarantee will be lower than i've been paying)....?

If no Court Order or writted agreement exists you are not required to pay anything in law until CMS made a decision.

While you have given them all the infomation you need, your ex needs to confirm "Staying Contact" nights, and she might want to apply for a variation of considered income if you have done anything to reduce your taxable income, for example excessive Pension Contributions, or if you have any Benefits in Kind.

Therefore, they need to speck to her before their result is known.

What you could do, is use the estimate on the Dot Gov Website, and pay her by bank transfer. Put in the referance, Child Support from and then the date that payment starts to cover from.

If you do not have bank details, I would not pay anything without you being able to prove it at a later date.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
I agree i also had to make this decision and cms said it could take up to 4 to 8 weeks.....so i made it clear i wasnt going to pay as i jad done every pay day.....i think this made her decide to go back to the family based arrangement which was working fine.
It’s more of a short inconvenience than anything else. Well the quicker they agree the quicker they get their money. It’s a bit like applying for benefits you have to wait for the claim to be processed. Just inconvenient for a while and they get it all back in the end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CMS review increase civic4 3 2,435 09-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Last Post: MarkR
  Self assessment, odd job man jamesbond 8 4,085 07-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Last Post: jamesbond
  CMS Review is up Frisbos 2 2,432 12-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Frisbos
  Ex wants to review spouse/child maint - advise please puccino 8 6,380 10-26-2018, 04:09 PM
  And so the New Assessment Begins suggs108 2 3,332 05-31-2017, 07:45 AM
  CMS Assessment on False Info boyce57 4 6,102 02-20-2017, 06:16 AM