Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for someone considering separation
Hello,

I'm on the verge of leaving my wife as the relationship has broken down and - simply put - I just don't want to be with her any longer. I've been looking around on the internet and there seems to be a lot of information, some of it conflicting. My main concern is how I afford to live while the situation is sorted out.

I have no real clue about what happens next - and I have a few questions. At this point, I think it'd be fairly amicable, but who knows... We have one child who is 9 and have been married 15 years. I doubt she'll want to sell the house, but I'm intending to push her on this if possible (though I'm aware legally she'd be able to stay if she digs her heels in).

So:

How would bills typically get split when I move out? (short term, and when coming to an agreement)
Can I cancel things like insurance policies, Sky TV, appliance cover etc. to reduce possible costs without her agreement, if it's in my name?
How does splitting the mortgage work? (joint mortgage, £150k odd equity, both earning - she's on roughly 3/4 of my salary)
Is the suggested 15% a realistic reflection of actual maintenance payments for one child?

Is there anything else I should be doing (besides legal advice) while she's unaware I'll be legging it soon?
Can I kidnap the dog and get away with it, if there's no pesky kids to catch me?

Sorry if some of this sounds a little callous and flippant... I don't want to be hung out to dry if she turns nasty.

Cheers
Alex
(07-27-2017, 12:20 AM)Alexander Wrote: Hello,

I'm on the verge of leaving my wife as the relationship has broken down and - simply put - I just don't want to be with her any longer. I've been looking around on the internet and there seems to be a lot of information, some of it conflicting. My main concern is how I afford to live while the situation is sorted out.

I have no real clue about what happens next - and I have  a few questions. At this point, I think it'd be fairly amicable, but who knows... We have one child who is 9 and have been married 15 years. I doubt she'll want to sell the house, but I'm intending to push her on this if possible (though I'm aware legally she'd be able to stay if she digs her heels in).

So:

How would bills typically get split when I move out? (short term, and when coming to an agreement)
Can I cancel things like insurance policies, Sky TV, appliance cover etc.  to reduce possible costs without her agreement, if it's in my name?
How does splitting the mortgage work? (joint mortgage, £150k odd equity, both earning - she's on roughly 3/4 of my salary)
Is the suggested 15% a realistic reflection of actual maintenance payments for one child?

Is there anything else I should be doing (besides legal advice) while she's unaware I'll be legging it soon?
Can I kidnap the dog and get away with it, if there's no pesky kids to catch me?

Sorry if some of this sounds a little callous and flippant... I don't want to be hung out to dry if she turns nasty.

Cheers
Alex

You have the right to cancel anything in your own name (not if both names on a contract), except Electric and Gas. The law requies you to make your ex aware if your doing that, as its illigal to have it cut off without telling her.

Child Support takes into account your income, if you have any other dependent children, and is reduced depending on "Staying Contact".
http://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

Ownership of the Dog comes down to who has title to it (a bill of sale).
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Believe it or not dogs have been the subject of long and protracted divorce cases.

What I’d consider is if the child is attached to the dog first.
Did no one else get the Scooby-Do reference......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on separation financial agreement MPL 4 8,404 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Last Post: MPL