Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I move closer, she'll move away....
...Greetings.  I currently live 90 miles from my ex and our children.  After much encouragement from her, my children and professionals that work with our children (my eldest is autistic) I have decided to buy a place 10 mins drive from her.  To live in this place close to the kids at weekends and commute/ rent a smaller place near by place of work and current residence. I'm sure I don't need to outline why but it would be to be closer to them in order to see more of them (than every fortnight) to limit their travel time and generally not miss out on my kids' lives.
Initially my ex's reaction was extremely positive and after some problems over the last 4 years of separation, our relationship was civil and encouraging, if a little awkward.  However, after a couple of days her mood had changed and she asked that I rent to see if it would work, then it was not sanctioning it, then the threat to move away if I moved closer before finally announcing to me that she was putting her house on the market and that she had told our 9 year old daughter that what she was doing.
Her main gripes are:
-I didn't consult with her first (although she'd encouraged me to move closer, apparently 10 mins drive is too close)
-She walks the dog near by
-She drinks in a pub about a mile away
The first I could maybe have handled a little different but the other two are just more or less a consequence of living close.
I've consulted friends and professionals working with my son and there seems to be no disagreement with my logic but ultimately, I can't go through with it if it uproots my kids' lives and ultimately backfires on me.  
Does anyone have any advice?
if you move closer to your ex go and do it

then you are able to make an application to court for a Prohibited Steps Order

and the court will decide whether she is allowed to move away or not

if she moves away after the judge rules in your favour she could get in deep trouble

so i would advice you to do the prohibited steps order as soon as possible
(08-02-2017, 02:35 PM)ShaneD Wrote: ...Greetings.  I currently live 90 miles from my ex and our children.  After much encouragement from her, my children and professionals that work with our children (my eldest is autistic) I have decided to buy a place 10 mins drive from her.  To live in this place close to the kids at weekends and commute/ rent a smaller place near by place of work and current residence. I'm sure I don't need to outline why but it would be to be closer to them in order to see more of them (than every fortnight) to limit their travel time and generally not miss out on my kids' lives.
Initially my ex's reaction was extremely positive and after some problems over the last 4 years of separation, our relationship was civil and encouraging, if a little awkward.  However, after a couple of days her mood had changed and she asked that I rent to see if it would work, then it was not sanctioning it, then the threat to move away if I moved closer before finally announcing to me that she was putting her house on the market and that she had told our 9 year old daughter that what she was doing.
Her main gripes are:
-I didn't consult with her first (although she'd encouraged me to move closer, apparently 10 mins drive is too close)
-She walks the dog near by
-She drinks in a pub about a mile away
The first I could maybe have handled a little different but the other two are just more or less a consequence of living close.
I've consulted friends and professionals working with my son and there seems to be no disagreement with my logic but ultimately, I can't go through with it if it uproots my kids' lives and ultimately backfires on me.  
Does anyone have any advice?

Apply for a Prohibited Steps Order, stopping her relocating over 15 miles, as it would affect your existing arrangements for the Children.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex threatening to move away again Charlie7000 23 1,780 08-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Leader1978
  Forced to move out separatedsoon 13 3,340 09-13-2018, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Charlie7000
  No contact until I move out jblawson 4 1,493 07-29-2018, 08:45 PM
  Contact Once I Move GC1974 0 512 06-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Last Post: GC1974
  Joint custody through courts and now my ex wants to move away JD1993 8 4,171 10-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Last Post: keithb
  ex wife is planning to move to Scotland with our two daughters scott 5 2,496 07-22-2017, 05:56 PM
  About to apply for residency - Shall I move out with my daughter? mcnl 17 8,553 03-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: mcnl
  Looking to move out, but worried about future access Desperatedad1 6 3,736 03-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Last Post: strider
  Can my ex move back in? Jubba 1 1,900 09-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Last Post: MarkR
  Help - My Ex is trying to move away with my boys and without my permission DedicatedDad 10 8,364 09-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DedicatedDad