Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Child Tax/Benefit
Hi all,

This is my first post on any type of forum and would just basically like some feedback.
I've been split from my ex partner coming up 2 years in October, I was hurt quite badly in a workplace accident too cut a long story short the accident had placed a lot of pressure/stress on the relationship and this ultimately led to the breakdown of it, everything was amicable till I started seeing my current girlfriend/partner and its turned very volatile and there's very little communication between myself and my ex now, I have my two children every Monday and Tuesday and two Friday's and Saturday's  (all overnight stays) every month, I do the school run every Monday-Wednesday morning (due to not working) and also take them to their respective afterschool clubs, which is 4 nights a week and a Saturday morning, I would like to know if I'm able to claim any Child Tax or benefit or at least  have a "share" of the award my ex partner gets.
I know that the ruling generally goes with the mother but the fact is that I have my children more than the mother does when I do the after school run and clubs and my "shared days/overnight stays) I would just like some clarity in the situation I find myself and would appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

Thanks in advance
This was challenged in 2012 and was not successful although it WAS deemed discriminatory.

See- https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/u...dgment.pdf

It could do with challenging again perhaps

However I do not think any court would reduce her benefits and far better to argue for it to be claimed in your own right. Currently in the benefit system you would be classed as a single person with NO children. There needs to be a separate rate for NRP’s in my opinion as they have costs that childless people do not have. A fairer way would be benefits on a pro rata basis to the contact that you have.

The government would of course be against this as they do not want yet another group that they have to pay benefits to so the only other way then is to let you earn an amount that covers contact cost etc before you pay any maintenance.

Current benefit cut off point for a single childless person is £13,400. That wouldn’t be enough for an NRP on a low income.

As of right now the only way you would get it is if you did more day to day care than her. There are some couples who do split the benefits, both claiming for one child, but it is rare. Yet to me it seems an ideal situation that is completely fair. It’s a pity More didn’t do it this way.

That’s my take on it anyway.
(08-08-2017, 10:28 AM)Hazy Wrote: This was challenged in 2012 and was not successful although it WAS deemed discriminatory.

See-  https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/u...dgment.pdf

It could do with challenging again perhaps

However I do not think any court would reduce her benefits and far better to argue for it to be claimed in your own right.  Currently in the benefit system you would be classed as a single person with NO children.  There needs to be a separate rate for NRP’s in my opinion  as they have costs that childless people do not have.  A fairer  way would be benefits on a pro rata basis to the contact that you have.

The government would of course be against this as they do not want yet another group that they have to pay benefits to so the only other way then is to let you earn an amount  that covers contact cost etc before you pay any maintenance.

Current benefit cut off point for a single childless person is £13,400.   That wouldn’t be enough for an NRP on a low income.

As of right now the only way you would get it is if you did more day to day care than her.   There are some couples who do split the benefits, both claiming for one child, but it is rare. Yet to me it seems an ideal situation that is completely fair. It’s a pity More didn’t do it this way.

That’s my take on it anyway.

I agreee with Hazy onthis one. The system is wrong. You either get Child Benefit or you pay Child Support. You only get a discount for "Staying" contact.

They talk about "Family Based Agreements", but as the CMS result is know, most Resident Parents want more, or they will put CMS in, what they can legally do.

Complaints by email to your local MP
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Child Benefit Claims boyce57 1 885 10-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Fatcat1980
  Child Benefit reclaim letter miker_71uk 12 8,678 08-29-2019, 08:57 AM
Last Post: miker_71uk
  Child benefit – shared care Goetia 27 18,677 07-18-2019, 05:27 AM
Last Post: juddermeister
  Child benefit / maintenance markrugby 2 2,888 11-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Hazy
  Child Benefit Counter claim luhkyuht23 2 2,756 10-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: MarkR