Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
child support
Hi,

I'm asking questions for my son, Pete. He already has a 6 year old son from his ex-girlfriend. He since married and has a 2 year old daughter with his new wife. They have now split, due to abuse on her part. They were living in a one bedroom ground floor council flat which Pete had before they were together. He was given this flat because of his disability (he has rheumatoid arthritis). She has tried to take possession of his flat but the council have no record of her ever having lived there and they also say the accommodation is totally inappropriate for a mother and child due to having only one bedroom.  She has since broken into his flat and stolen money. He gave her money to pay their electric bill, which she spent on herself. He now owes £300 in electric!! He only works 16 hours per week, due to his arthritis, and is self employed.  His main question is, how much child support should he be paying for this 2nd child?  I would be grateful for any help given as he is really low and I am worried about him.

Many thanks

Minwee
(08-08-2017, 02:06 PM)minwee Wrote: Hi,

I'm asking questions for my son, Pete. He already has a 6 year old son from his ex-girlfriend. He since married and has a 2 year old daughter with his new wife. They have now split, due to abuse on her part. They were living in a one bedroom ground floor council flat which Pete had before they were together. He was given this flat because of his disability (he has rheumatoid arthritis). She has tried to take possession of his flat but the council have no record of her ever having lived there and they also say the accommodation is totally inappropriate for a mother and child due to having only one bedroom.  She has since broken into his flat and stolen money. He gave her money to pay their electric bill, which she spent on herself. He now owes £300 in electric!! He only works 16 hours per week, due to his arthritis, and is self employed.  His main question is, how much child support should he be paying for this 2nd child?  I would be grateful for any help given as he is really low and I am worried about him.

Many thanks

Minwee

Regarding her breaking in, its a crime and he should report it to the Police. If she is convicted, she could be made to repay the money.

You will not find the answer about Child Support online, due to the fact he has 2 children with differnent partners.

My Suggestion, is he phones Child Support Options, who will give him an idea.

It will depend on his Self Assesment Gross Profit for the last tax year, unless it will change either way by 25%.

Regarding his electric bill, he needs to speck to them. It might be they can fit a pre payment system, so he can pay for his current usage and a set amount per week off the arrears.

He should seek a None Molestion Order, if he can prove she broke into the house.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
If your son is only working part time and earning less than £13,400 (gross) he will be able to get tax credits topped up to that amount and likely some housing benefit.

Use this calculator to see what he should pay.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

Be sure to enter the fact that he also pays for another child. But to get a better idea of what he should pay to each ex contact CMS perhaps. At least this way he pays what he has to not amounts that they may request from him.
(08-08-2017, 09:11 PM)Hazy Wrote: If your son is only working part time and earning less than £13,400 (gross) he will  be able to get tax credits topped up to that amount and likely some housing benefit.

Use this calculator to see what he should pay.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

Be sure to enter the fact that he also pays for another child. But to get a better idea of what he should pay to each ex contact CMS perhaps.  At least this way he pays what he has to not amounts that they may request from him.

The Calculator will not work in this case. It will take into account Children that live with you, but not if there is already a Child Support case with a differnet partner.

In terms of him getting benefits, http://www.entitledto.co.uk  will flag any up.

Only income from wages counts, not Benefits/Tax Credits. However, some means tested benefits will cap any child support he has to pay.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Child support Cheese_head_1986 0 1,138 03-31-2020, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Cheese_head_1986
  Child Maintenace ( support ) Ohmydays 2 2,990 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Ohmydays
  Ending a Child Support Payment spider2412 6 6,820 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Last Post: mrbungle
  Child support and "extras" dad_79 2 3,119 10-30-2017, 04:37 AM
Last Post: MarkR
  Child support and joint accounts Hazy 0 1,750 10-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Hazy
  Child Support Agency Arrears ChrisP 3 3,905 08-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Last Post: ChrisP
  to pursue child support or not? 00singlemum 5 6,024 07-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Last Post: 00singlemum
  Am I entitled to ask to stop or reduce Child support payments? Chris0121 3 5,591 03-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Drew65
  Paying Mortgage and Child Support StephenG 1 3,401 10-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Last Post: MarkR
  Child Support Petition on Goverment Website MarkR 28 34,871 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Bobbi