Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picking up / Dropping off my child - do I have to do it all?
Hi

My ex and I separated 6 years ago, and I had to move back to London to find work and pay my obligated expenses. 

I've had constant access to my child twice a month where I drive to Salisbury on a Friday, pick up, and drive back to London.  I have the weekend, then do the trip in reverse on Sunday afternoon.

I've asked my ex to share this driving but she refuses and argues that if I want to see my child, then I have to do it. 

This has been a bitter pill but one I've accepted for 6 years at great cost, on top of large maintenance payments. 

I am now remarried and have a new baby on the way, and doing this driving will impact my ability to support my new baby and being out on the road for 16 hours a month.

Q.  What process whether legally or not can I take to get my ex to share this driving?

Thanks in advance.
(08-24-2017, 08:29 AM)Longwalk Wrote: Hi

My ex and I separated 6 years ago, and I had to move back to London to find work and pay my obligated expenses. 

I've had constant access to my child twice a month where I drive to Salisbury on a Friday, pick up, and drive back to London.  I have the weekend, then do the trip in reverse on Sunday afternoon.

I've asked my ex to share this driving but she refuses and argues that if I want to see my child, then I have to do it. 

This has been a bitter pill but one I've accepted for 6 years at great cost, on top of large maintenance payments. 

I am now remarried and have a new baby on the way, and doing this driving will impact my ability to support my new baby and being out on the road for 16 hours a month.

Q.  What process whether legally or not can I take to get my ex to share this driving?

Thanks in advance.

You can not do anything, except perhaps try to claim the excessive travel for contact costs, if you have Child Support done by CMS.

Also, once you or your new partner are getting Child Benefit for your baby, inform them as your Child Support goes down, as part of your income is needed for that child.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(08-24-2017, 09:05 AM)MarkR Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 08:29 AM)Longwalk Wrote: Hi

Thanks in advance.

You can not do anything, except perhaps try to claim the excessive travel for contact costs, if you have Child Support done by CMS.

Also, once you or your new partner are getting Child Benefit for your baby, inform them as your Child Support goes down, as part of your income is needed for that child.

Thanks MarkR - appreciated.  The child costs are by court order, so I'd have to take her back to court to get that adjusted.
I think it is still the case that if the court order is more than 12 months old you can apply to CMS to recalculate and they will supersede the order to their calculated amount.  There will be a CMS calculator online for you to work out what you would be expected to pay as a guide.
Child maintenance calculator

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

It is correct that 12 months on from a court order you can go straight to CMS. There will be a £20 fee to pay.
(08-24-2017, 09:46 AM)Hazy Wrote: Child maintenance calculator

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

It is correct that 12 months on from a court order you can go straight to CMS. There will be a £20 fee to pay.

Thank you Hazy, this is really useful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Required - Problems Dropping Off Children. wilsons077 1 4,190 06-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Last Post: MarkR