Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep (Or Lack Of)
One of the things that we really need to deal with, which is rarely spoken about is Sleep (Or Lack Of)

Whats your tips for getting to sleep at night?  I am personally interested in this as I find it extremely difficult to get to sleep at night (three hours sleep last night and my spell checking software is working overtime).
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
(10-04-2017, 07:27 AM)invisibleintellectual Wrote: One of the things that we really need to deal with, which is rarely spoken about is Sleep (Or Lack Of)

Whats your tips for getting to sleep at night?  I am personally interested in this as I find it extremely difficult to get to sleep at night (three hours sleep last night and my spell checking software is working overtime).

I got sleeping tablets off the GP to start off with but those are only a short term fix as they can be very habit forming.  Plus if your ex gets wind of it, be prepared for them to start claiming you're a drug addict in court.   Rolleyes 

What really works for me is exercise.  I go to a class at the gym which is stupidly intense, and I'm physically knackered so stress can't keep me awake!
My court case is over and access is settled - but I still have those nights where I just cant sleep at all
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
Exercise helps me also. I found being physically tired but mentally refreshed much easier to goto sleep and STAY asleep than being mentally tired but physically fresh if that makes sense? Give it a few hours between exercise & sleep time, must be a couple hours after. Use that time to watch a tv/film or read a book.
In the dark days, nothing....

I would stay up for an entire weekend and play world of warcraft getting about 6 hours sleep. It was my divergence, and fantasy land, that I became something different and had no worldy worries.

The main thing after my nervous breakdowns, and counselling and psychotherapy, was forgiving her for what she did to me. once I knew I left her with her worries and personal demons, I felt clean and moved on.

I only ever get about 6 hours a night, comes from keeping one eye open in the military.
But I sleep sound.
Dont do the drink
Dont do the drugs, they will screw you up....I know...i practiced it for a long time and it dragged me in further
Advice & opinions on this forum are offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.
Go to bed at same time every night.

Keep bedroom cool not hot.

Don’t eat late a big meal late at night.

Try not to use mobile phone for approx 1 hr before sleep (hard I know).
All the advice to put down any thing with a screen - except for a kindle paperwhite (its use a screen print) an hour before bed...... The light emitted can trick the brain into staying awake....like natural daylight.

But sleeps a pain...... best friend and mortal enemy all at the same time....I refused tablets, and really struggle to fall asleep...
I read a kindle until I fall asleep again, but I need a light that turns off after X minutes - If I try to turn off the light when I'm starting to feel drowsy, that action seems to switch my brain on again, and if I leave a light on I usually wake up later and start the whole process again.

Oh, and no coffee after 16:00 (although some advise 14:00).
Exercise works, especially if you do a hard training session and push yourself. Alcohol does nothing and is not your friend :-)
I'm only getting 3 to 4 hrs a night. Like a zombie at work atm moment....but yes I think exercise is the best bet for sleep...if you can't get to the gym at night do it in your house...so many good apps and ytube vids to work you hard. Try that before getting sleeping tablets I think...and drink is never the answer.