Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Child benifit for 16 year old
Hi All

Have my 16 year old who lives with me. He will be starting 6th form education next september 2018 and I asume will  leave in september 2020. My question is when will my child benifit stop for him. His birthday is 11th Sep. Also could my e force me to sell marital home before he leaves education.

Thanks.
(12-16-2017, 10:03 PM)steph1234 Wrote: Hi All

Have my 16 year old who lives with me. He will be starting 6th form education next september 2018 and I asume will  leave in september 2020. My question is when will my child benifit stop for him. His birthday is 11th Sep. Also could my e force me to sell marital home before he leaves education.

Thanks.

What will happen is Child Benefit will write to you, and invite you to apply for an Education Run On.  See https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

If Child Benefit continuies, then the young person is still considered as a Dependent, so
a, You will still get Child Tax Credit and depending on income, Working Tax Credit
b, If you claim Council Tax Reduction the Childs Occupancy affects the disregard amount they use.
c, Your ex in a CMS case, has to carry on paying Child Support
d, The Court would not force the sale of the house in most situations.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.