Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payments
Hi

I currently have no contact with my children due to my ex stopping me seeing them and domestic violence from her which the police have been involved.

She is looking to change their surnames now so do I still pay maintence because of this?
If you have parental responsibility, you will remain liable for maintenance until they are 18 whatever happens. However, she also cannot legally change their surnames without you agreeing to it as well.
(12-22-2017, 11:52 AM)TwoWheels Wrote: If you have parental responsibility, you will remain liable for maintenance until they are 18 whatever happens. However, she also cannot legally change their surnames without you agreeing to it as well.

Sorry but this information is not correct.

The natural father is liable to pay Child Support, regardless of PR Status.

Child Support ends when Child Benefit does, what might be at 16, but could be extended to at the latest the summer following the 19th Birthday.

If you have PR, she needs your consent or a Court Order, to change the name of the child.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
In my view, if you think a lot about your children, do not allow the mother to change their surname, what benefit is it to you? What benefit is it to your children? If you are struggling to maintain contact with them, your common surname may be the best, easiest or maybe only way to link you to the children when they are older when they will want to re establish contact.

Don't agree to this request from her, under any circumstances.
I think his ex is threatening to change surnames just to get a reaction and then you get accused of domestic violence again. stay calm knowing she cant change their surnames legally without your permission and pay any maintenance in the meanwhile as that will sta