Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't afford a flat, just rent a room
Evening all.

I'm currently staying in a room on AirBnB near the (rented) family home, have two children (13 & 3) and was chucked out of the family house a week & 1/2 ago.

I make pretty decent money but now with debts from legal fees (and taxes to be paid) and two households to support, I don't think I've got enough.

My soon to be ex-wife doesn't work, and so with the cost of repaying debt, supporting her in our old house etc. I don't think I can afford to rent a 1 bedroom flat, never mind a two bedroom.

Right now I'm able to see my kids for 1/2 days but want to have them staying with me 2-3 nights a week. 

How am I supposed to spend time with my kids if I don't have a home for them to live in?
(12-23-2017, 04:44 PM)essex_pager Wrote: Evening all.

I'm currently staying in a room on AirBnB near the (rented) family home, have two children (13 & 3) and was chucked out of the family house a week & 1/2 ago.

I make pretty decent money but now with debts from legal fees (and taxes to be paid) and two households to support, I don't think I've got enough.

My soon to be ex-wife doesn't work, and so with the cost of repaying debt, supporting her in our old house etc. I don't think I can afford to rent a 1 bedroom flat, never mind a two bedroom.

Right now I'm able to see my kids for 1/2 days but want to have them staying with me 2-3 nights a week. 

How am I supposed to spend time with my kids if I don't have a home for them to live in?

From date of seperation, you ex can claim Benefits as a Single person. From my knowage of the welfare benefit system, she will get

£70 per week, Income Support or JSA for herself, a bit more if on ESA.
Child Tax Credit of about £125 per week
Child Benefit of £34 per week.
Housing Benefit  but this might be for 2 bedrooms only, if the children are the same sex, if not, 3 bedroom rate.

With that income, she has what the law of the country says she needs to live off. Your Child Support payment is not counted as income for any of that, and is considerd to be a fair contrubution towards her normal day to day costs.

The only extra money I would be handing over, is perhaps the gap between what the Housing Benefit Claim allow for Rent, and what it is, but even then, i would be giving your landlord notice soon as you can, to get your name off it. It is up to them, if they let her remain on a new contract or not.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(12-23-2017, 06:02 PM)MarkR Wrote:

From date of seperation, you ex can claim Benefits as a Single person. From my knowage of the welfare benefit system, she will get

Housing Benefit  but this might be for 2 bedrooms only, if the children are the same sex, if not, 3 bedroom rate.

With that income, she has what the law of the country says she needs to live off. Your Child Support payment is not counted as income for any of that, and is considerd to be a fair contrubution towards her normal day to day costs.

The only extra money I would be handing over, is perhaps the gap between what the Housing Benefit Claim allow for Rent, and what it is, but even then, i would be giving your landlord notice soon as you can, to get your name off it. It is up to them, if they let her remain on a new contract or not.

That's really helpful, thanks, I'm in a bit of a state at the moment.

The last 1 & 1/2 weeks have only been about me trying to prevent her leaving the country with the kids (China), which has worked.

Now I'm standing here thinking "what do I do now, where am I gonna live, how can I see my kids", guess getting the cheapest 2 bedroom I can find will be fine.

Thanks.
(12-23-2017, 07:02 PM)essex_pager Wrote:
(12-23-2017, 06:02 PM)MarkR Wrote:

That's really helpful, thanks, I'm in a bit of a state at the moment.

The last 1 & 1/2 weeks have only been about me trying to prevent her leaving the country with the kids (China), which has worked.

Now I'm standing here thinking "what do I do now, where am I gonna live, how can I see my kids", guess getting the cheapest 2 bedroom I can find will be fine.

Thanks.

a one bedroom is fine, as you can use the living room as a sleeping area for the 13 year old, and the 3 year old can be in your room, as long as in own bed.
You would only need 2 bedrooms if they lived with you, so you got Child Benefit.

The Housing Act 2002 Section 329 is clear on Overcrowding. Short term visiting relatives do no court.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Sorry to hear what's going on...will the council housing not get you a place if your homeless???? Or call citizens advice they will give you information on how or who to call about where to stay.
(12-23-2017, 08:24 PM)scottb Wrote: Sorry to hear what's going on...will the council housing not get you a place if your homeless???? Or call citizens advice they will give you information on how or who to call about where to stay.

The Council will not help in his situation. He has made himself homeless as far as they are concerned, unless he was evicted by Court.

The fact he how has a room, he is ok as far they they will be concerend.

Only when you get Child Benefit, does the Children come into it. They state no longer provides help with housing for children in a contact situation.
hi all

just to add, I live in a shared house one room etc, I have three children 10,13,16 did the court thing where I loses everything and do not collect £200 when I pass go...the judge said it was an acceptable situation...I currently only have one of my children stay overnight with me in my room. Its not ideal when i'm sharing a room with my daughter but that's the only way it can be as I cant afford a place of my own..they didn't give a monkeys that I cant accomadate my children!
I don't get this. Judges have been given guidance on how assets and income are to be divided up so both parents can house their kids adequately.
Did you leave your former home voluntarily?
I left..silly move!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSA ARREARS FLAT RATE QUESTION suggs108 4 354 02-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Last Post: MarkR