Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CMS revaluation
Currently paying my ex partner through direct debit on a CMS decided amount.

I received a pay increase recently, around 10% increase. Im sure I read somewhere that the CMS will not 're adjust your payments unless your salary changes 25% higher or lower than what it was first calculated at. Is this correct?

Also, do the CMS do annual reviews on payments? Will they ask for my pay slips each year to see if I am paying the correct amount ?

Don't really fancy paying my ex partner more as she is already getting near £400 a month from me and I think that's an obscene amount for one child as it is !
(12-26-2017, 08:58 AM)kettleman Wrote: Currently paying my ex partner through direct debit on a CMS decided amount.

I received a pay increase recently, around 10% increase. Im sure I read somewhere that the CMS will not 're adjust your payments unless your salary changes 25% higher or lower than what it was first calculated at. Is this correct?

Also, do the CMS do annual reviews on payments? Will they ask for my pay slips each year to see if I am paying the correct amount ?

Don't really fancy paying my ex partner more as she is already getting near £400 a month from me and I think that's an obscene amount for one child as it is !

CMS recalcalate either (what ever happens first)

1, at the end of your case year (you can find out when this is from loging in online, but its normally close to the date someone paid the £20 to open it)
2, if your income is going to change either way by 25% or more in the case year. Note if you fail to report a change, and they find out themselves as they also check with HMRC what your earning, they will backdate the change to the start of your case year, creating a bigger overpayment and if you had told them at the correct time.
3, if you go on a qualifying benefit.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Interesting.

According to child poverty action group the average basic cost of the child of a single parent over 18 years is £102,627k

£102k divides by 18 is £5,701.50 per year.

£400 X 12 is £4,800 !!!!

Max child tax credits for 1 kid is £2,780 per year and CB would be £1076 , total = £3856

some of you guys are almost single handedly meeting the average basic costs of your children..... which makes a mockery of the ‘both parents must pay’ mantra

Let’s not forget you also bear some of these costs when you have contact.

Alas CMS is not tied to actual child costs (wonder why)

The FULL cost of a child of a single parent over 18 years included RENT , COUNCIL TAX and CHILDCARE is £187,120.

£187,120 /18/52 breaks down to £199.91 per week but if you pay this amount it kinda becomes child maintenance combined with spousal support.

Max tax credits for 1 child is £2,780 family allowance for 1 is 20.70 x 52 £1,076.40.

So 2,780 + 1076 + 4800 CMS (in this case ) is 8,656

8656 X 18 is 155.808k

£187,100 - 155,808 = £31,292 (her cost over 18 years)

31,292 /18/52 is £33.43 per week

IF you also pay for extras ..... oh boy!

Hmmm

Interestingly the average cost of the child of a COUPLE over 18 years is -

Basic cost. £75,436
Full Cost £155,142

http://www.cpag.org.uk/sites/default/fil...in2017.pdf
So am I correct in saying that since I have recieved less than a 25% pay rise, that my CMS payments will not change, even after they review it?

After seeing those calculations it further justifies my annoyance to what I pay my ex partner, she puts the minimal amount of money towards my child, she has bought herself a new Audi in the last few weeks, and booked a holiday with her and her friends, all from the money that she recieves from me! It frustrates me immensly that there is not a reasonable cap on child payments.
(12-26-2017, 06:10 PM)kettleman Wrote: So am I correct in saying that since I have recieved less than a 25% pay rise, that my CMS payments will not change, even after they review it?

After seeing those calculations it further justifies my annoyance to what I pay my ex partner, she puts the minimal amount of money towards my child, she has bought herself a new Audi in the last few weeks, and booked a holiday with her and her friends, all from the money that she recieves from me! It frustrates me immensly that there is not a reasonable cap on child payments.

There will be an increase, but as your income has not gone up by 25% in the case year, it will start from day 1 of the next case year.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
If I decided to put the 10% increase in pay I got, into a pension, would the CMS not change my payment? since it is based on after pension contributions? i'd rather put my salary increase into a pension plan for the future so my child can benefit from it, rather than her recieve a penny more from me to use for herself
Yes you can put some into your pension but your ex can have CMS decide whether or not your pension payments are excessive.

This link gives you an idea of how much you should be able to pay without CMS limiting you.

https://voiceofthechild.org.uk/cms-deal-...ariations/

NRP’s I feel are discriminated against here as no other person has their pension contributions questioned in this way even if on benefits. I have searched and cannot find any limits to pension contributions for tax credits. When you pay into a pension via an employer and claim tax credits the figure you give for tax credit calculations is the one on your p60 (after pension contributions have been deducted)