Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girlfriend left with baby
It’s been coming a while but today my girlfriend left me taking our 9 week old baby in the process.
She’s gone back to live with her parents. She told me she’s wants me to have no contact at all with the child at all and wants me to have nothing to do with him.
I’m completely lost!
I know I have rights to see him but I really don’t know what to do reguarding this!
What are my rights? Can she stop me seeing him?
Will I need a solicitor? And how much will it all cost as I’m now completely skint

Any advice would be great

Thank you
First of all, take a deep breath and don't panic. It sounds like things reached a watershed today and you may need to just take a bit of time to digest things. If the baby is safe with your in-laws, which it sounds like it might be, then that is the most important thing for now.

You cannot be stopped from seeing your child. You may need just to have a consultation with a solicitor, which would cost you around 100 pounds.
Don't panic
(12-28-2017, 03:36 PM)Jaime1979 Wrote: It’s been coming a while but today my girlfriend left me taking our 9 week old baby in the process.
She’s gone back to live with her parents. She told me she’s wants me to have no contact at all with the child at all and wants me to have nothing to do with him.
I’m completely lost!
I know I have rights to see him but I really don’t know what to do reguarding this!
What are my rights? Can she stop me seeing him?
Will  I need a solicitor? And how much will it all cost as I’m now  completely skint

Any  advice would be great

Thank you

An important fact here, is do you have PR, by being named on the Birth Certificate?

This will depend on the way forward. It might have to be Court to get PR, or if you have it, Mediation.

In terms of cost, you might get Legal Aid for Mediation, and if it goes to Court your only costs if Self Representing in most cases, is the £215 application fee. However, if your on a low income you can get it reduced, and its free if your on some benefits.

With PR, you have responablitys, and if this goes to Court, the point you will be making is you want contact so that you can carry them out.
The child has rights under The Children Act of 2002, unless Child Welfare/Protection Issues are evidanced to a Court.

What your ex wants has no legal bearing on this, once you have PR. With PR you are on the same legal standing, and if you have to get an order for contact, you outrank her in the time the court puts the child in your care for.

Due to the age, you will normally only get 4-6 hours a week, and if your ex wants Quality Time, then every other week, it would have to be in the week, so she has the weekend.

From 2, you will get every other weekend, and up to half school holidays. You might be able to make a case for shared care, so you get additional time.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Yes I’m on the Birth certificate .
So what do I do? I’m completely lost!
(12-28-2017, 08:04 PM)Jaime1979 Wrote: Yes I’m on the   Birth certificate .
So what do I do? I’m  completely  lost!

Stage 1, write to her, informing her that you are on the Birth Certificate, and therefore currently on the same legal standing.
That as well as your responablitys, the Child has rights under The Children Act 2002 to have contact with you.
State what sort of contact your seeking, but to give you an idea, a Court will give you 4-6 hours, over 1 or 2 days, a week,  until the child is 2.
This is you collecting the child, and taking the child back at the agreed time.
Inform her that if she does not respond with acceptable contact arrangements, you will start the legal process in 7 days.

Stage 2, Instruct a Medication Company. Due to your cash situation, find one that does Legal Aid. While the law requires you to attempt this before you can bring a case to Court, do not settle for less that what a Court will give you, unless it suites you.

Stage 3 would be Court, but you would need either
a, Mediation no show by her
b, Her not to follow any agreement made at Mediation
c, The Mediation Company to sign the case off as "Deadlock".

Should at any point, she suggest Domistic Violence, or any Child Welfare/Protection Issues, or her Whereabouts become not known, you can go direct to Court.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice, ex partner left with the baby with no warning. raf 3 629 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Last Post: raf