Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you get a refund?
Just a quicky if anyone has experience of this:

My CMS payments were calculated on an earlier year's tax return due to an ongoing HMRC investigation. The final filed return is likely to show a significantly smaller income and thus considerably lower amount due, if the CMS payments are calculated on the 'correct' year's income.

1: 18 months later is there any chance of getting the amount 'revised' (it has all been paid over)
2: if so is there any chance of getting the money back?
3: how?

Thanks and happy new year!
(01-01-2018, 01:19 PM)herewegoagain Wrote: Just a quicky if anyone has experience of this:

My CMS payments were calculated on an earlier year's tax return due to an ongoing HMRC investigation. The final filed return is likely to show a significantly smaller income and thus considerably lower amount due, if the CMS payments are calculated on the 'correct' year's income.

1: 18 months later is there any chance of getting the amount 'revised' (it has all been paid over)
2: if so is there any chance of getting the money back?
3: how?

Thanks and happy new year!

The Law Requires you to inform them in under 30 days, of a reportable change.

Therefore, what you need to do, is as soon as the HMRC Investigation has taken place, report the correct amount to them, evidancing the fact that the correct starting Income has only just became known.

If they do not recalculate and consider any overpayment you have made, i would either put in a Solicitor who deals with CMS, or contact your Local MP, asking them to bring it to the attendtion of someone high up, to ensure the law was applied correctley to your case.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CMS and Pension contributions - are you due a refund? Hazy 0 297 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Hazy