Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Communicating to ex about mild childillness or accident
My son was with me and had an accident this last Saturday on the way to cinema. We dealt with the cut to the back of his head and carried on with our plan to go to the cinema as he and I confirmed that he was basically ok, if a little sore. Later than evening we called the mother and the children recounted what happened at which point she flipped out and insisted he was taken to A&E. Neither I not the children agreed and we are quite used to over over dramatic hypochondria. But under duress we went. After triage, the nurse said the cut was small but as the mother was no with us! she insisted some skin glue was also used. Son showed no additional symptoms and has been fine since. Yesterday however when speaking with his mother he said he had felt a little faint in the sun as he had been active and outdoors at camp during the day. To me this sounds like he just got hot or at a push got some heat stroke. Anyway mother kicked up a fuss again and threatened to break down my door if we (not I) didn't take him to another hospital to be checked again!! My son said he was fine and it was all an over reaction. When we got to the hospital it was full of other children with more serious issues etc etc. So my question is under a shared custody order, do I have to notify the mother of every issue and if so within what time frame. Do I have to be careful of anything. She is mean spirited and vengeful and threatens further legal action against me constantly. I just want to be left in peace with my kids and to focus on caring/being with them. Oh and keeping them safe from harm, to the best of my ability.
I don't know about the law under shared custody order but if the same accident happened under your exs care would you expect her to look after your son in a responsible way?
The answer would be YES, so she has no reason to think you wouldn't do the same?
You were the responsible parent, you saw the accident, you dealt with it, you had all the information to make the decisions and you made them for the best in that situation.

Sounds like shes playing a game - trying to prove something (you didn't look after him properly) when you obviously did .... don't get sucked in by it (but keep the records of what happened and if you got any discharge letter from A&E for example they may have given you a 'Head Injury Card' but maybe they didn't as they saw it wasn't necessary)
(07-22-2016, 08:20 AM)cb184 Wrote: My son was with me and had an accident this last Saturday on the way to cinema. We dealt with the cut to the back of his head and carried on with our plan to go to the cinema as he and I confirmed that he was basically ok, if a little sore. Later than evening we called the mother and the children recounted what happened at which point she flipped out and insisted he was taken to A&E. Neither I not the children agreed and we are quite used to over over dramatic hypochondria. But under duress we went. After triage, the nurse said the cut was small but as the mother was no with us! she insisted some skin glue was also used. Son showed no additional symptoms and has been fine since. Yesterday however when speaking with his mother he said he had felt a little faint in the sun as he had been active and outdoors at camp during the day. To me this sounds like he just got hot or at a push got some heat stroke. Anyway mother kicked up a fuss again and threatened to break down my door if we (not I) didn't take him to another hospital to be checked again!! My son said he was fine and it was all an over reaction. When we got to the hospital it was full of other children with more serious issues etc etc. So my question is under a shared custody order, do I have to notify the mother of every issue and if so within what time frame. Do I have to be careful of anything. She is mean spirited and vengeful and threatens further legal action against me constantly. I just want to be left in peace with my kids and to focus on caring/being with them. Oh and keeping them safe from harm, to the best of my ability.
Under the law, you made a judgement under your parental responsibility, that he was fine.

In my opinion, your ex is trying to make a fuss of this, to use as evidence perhaps to make her the Resident Parent.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Typical, Accident while on my watch ADTR_2014 5 5,769 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: ADTR_2014