Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Passports for Children
Hi all,

I am an English guy living in NZ. I have two boys (8 and 10) who are half English, half German and are dual citizens. They lived, until last year, in NZ with me. My ex won a court case to relocate them back to Germany with her.

We have a Parenting Order from the NZ courts stating that I can have the boys in my care in Germany or UK, or elsewhere in Europe for 2 x 2 week periods that coincide with the boys' school holidays, nominally at Xmas and Easter.

I plan to take the boys to the UK from Germany at Easter, to see their grandparents (also provided for in the Court Order). My ex has the kids' passports. At the moment they only have German passports and not UK ones (because they cost too much at the time to get, but I can apply at any time).

My ex has told me that she will not, under any circumstances, let me have the boys' German passports.

As they are also British, I am wondering if it's possible, as a separated parent, to get UK passports for the boys without my ex's consent? She managed to get German ones without mine!

I struggle a bit with the terminology, but I still have Guardianship rights for the children, even though they are not in my care at this time.

Has anyone had any experience of getting UK passports as a separated person, without the other parents' consent?

cheers,

Dominic
(01-25-2018, 10:25 PM)dom_donald Wrote: Hi all,

I am an English guy living in NZ. I have two boys (8 and 10) who are half English, half German and are dual citizens. They lived, until last year, in NZ with me. My ex won a court case to relocate them back to Germany with her.

We have a Parenting Order from the NZ courts stating that I can have the boys in my care in Germany or UK, or elsewhere in Europe for 2 x 2 week periods that coincide with the boys' school holidays, nominally at Xmas and Easter.

I plan to take the boys to the UK from Germany at Easter, to see their grandparents (also provided for in the Court Order). My ex has the kids' passports. At the moment they only have German passports and not UK ones (because they cost too much at the time to get, but I can apply at any time).

My ex has told me that she will not, under any circumstances, let me have the boys' German passports.

As they are also British, I am wondering if it's possible, as a separated parent, to get UK passports for the boys without my ex's consent? She managed to get German ones without mine!

I struggle a bit with the terminology, but I still have Guardianship rights for the children, even though they are not in my care at this time.

Has anyone had any experience of getting UK passports as a separated person, without the other parents' consent?

cheers,

Dominic

You can obtain UK Passports in your situation.

However, your way forward is to apply to vary your court order, to state that the passports must be avaliable for you, 21 days in advance of contact (unless they are traveling without you)

I woudl also inform  your ex that if she does not hand them over, you will file a breach of the order with Court.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex-wife withholding children's passports siverrall 5 7,499 07-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MarkR