Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Secondary schools
#1
Son is due to go to secondary school in 2019.  Names need to be down by this September.  The ex has told him he is going to x school!  No discussion.  I am not keen on this school - it has a bad Ofsted - and there is a choice of two in the area - the other one is much better and they can stay there till they're 18.

Have a court hearing coming up in a few weeks for Child Arrangements order and alienation issues. I'm thinking there is so much to deal with at this hearing there may not be the chance to deal with schools as well. Any suggestions?

Trying to muster up the wherewithal to email her to discuss schools and know what kind of response I will get (but I guess a rant and unilateral choice could be useful for the hearing). She has never thought much of his education and is more concerned about making it easier for her H to collect him from school (I think).
Reply
#2
I had to work very hard to get ex to meet me and discuss schools. Although we took the laptop and made the application "together" under her name, she gave in too easily and put her choice as second. It kept bugging me so I spoke to the school admissions group and requested a copy of the application with proof of PR. Not surprised at all to find out she had already made an application a month before and submitted the second application for my benefit knowing full well it would be discounted. Yet another issue to be brought to court.
So in answer, there isnt a great deal you can do after the event so it is imperative that you do get it put in a court order. You also have to factor in the risk that you dont get your first choice. How important is it to you that your son goes to that school or not the other?

Ive edited this because the school admissions window is different for primary and secondary. soz.
Reply
#3
(01-30-2018, 11:41 AM)Charlie7000 Wrote: Son is due to go to secondary school in 2019.  Names need to be down by this September.  The ex has told him he is going to x school!  No discussion.  I am not keen on this school - it has a bad Ofsted - and there is a choice of two in the area - the other one is much better and they can stay there till they're 18.

Have a court hearing coming up in a few weeks for Child Arrangements order and alienation issues. I'm thinking there is so much to deal with at this hearing there may not be the chance to deal with schools as well. Any suggestions?

Trying to muster up the wherewithal to email her to discuss schools and know what kind of response I will get (but I guess a rant and unilateral choice could be useful for the hearing).   She has never thought much of his education and is more concerned about making it easier for her H to collect him from school (I think).

You will find that unless a Court Order says otherwise, whoever gets Child Benefit is the one who fills in the form. While they should seek opinion, they have the final say on the schools that are listed, but the final decision is with the Local Authrotiy.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Reply
#4
I had no choice on the issue, I cant even get school photos but that's another thread

the latest was going to sit an entrance exam for a decent grammar school but she forgot to apply for the exam...she wasted a load of money on tutoring as well...I've just had to bit my lip. Hope it doesn't affect my child's future..

although like every disaster in that house its my fault!
Reply
#5
My son will also go to secondary school in 2019, and my ex-wife and I can not find a compromise.
Not only is the financial issue topical... and she does not deal with the preparation our child! I decided to take responsibility for myself since I had been tutoring for several years. But so far all my attempts have been unsuccessful. I really hope that everything will go well.
Reply
#6
(01-30-2018, 06:11 PM)Alan Reed Wrote: My son will also go to secondary school in 2019, and my ex-wife and I can not find a compromise.
Not only is the financial issue topical... and she does not deal with the preparation our child! I decided to take responsibility for myself since I had been tutoring for several years. But so far all my attempts have been unsuccessful. I really hope that everything will go well.

You might not have to. The decision is with the local authroity. You only put the schools down in ther order you would want.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Reply
#7
That's worth knowing Mark, thanks. Would be better to have your first choice first on the form though I guess. Do you mean the one that gets the Child Tax credits gets to fill in the form? Surely it should need both parents to agree!

Have done some research and only one school gets free transport (the one she wants) - might try suggesting to her that the other one is better and I'll pay for the bus pass.
Reply
#8
(01-30-2018, 09:04 PM)Charlie7000 Wrote: That's worth knowing Mark, thanks.  Would be better to have your first choice first on the form though I guess.  Do you mean the one that gets the Child Tax credits gets to fill in the form?  Surely it should need both parents to agree!

Have done some research and only one school gets free transport (the one she wants) - might try suggesting to her that the other one is better and I'll pay for the bus pass.

Its normal for the school and Local Authroity to send the forms to the parent who gets the Child Benefit.

The law requires the Resident Parnet to seek the opinion of the any other person with PR, but they have the final say, unless you challange it in Court.

However, the chances on this happening do depend on the situation, but as I have advised on a recent thread, no court is going to change arrangements a resident parent wants, to accomodate their 2 school days in every 10 of contact.  This is also why you do not see shared care often, unless its by agreement, as all it needs is for either parent having to move, and it makes the arrangements not workable.

In terms of free transport, agian I have first hand experiance of this, as it happned with my daughter.
Her catchment school was full in her year group, but it had a free bus as while it was under the required distance, the roads was considered to be unsafe by the Council, for a parent to walk with a child.

While the appeal was running, and if it had not been allowed, the Council having named a school over the required distance, had to provide transport for her.
When they are doing that, you have to appeal, and if allowed, the transport to the named school ends regardless of if you take up the place.

However, in my case, she just had to get the new school bus.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Reply
#9
Thanks Mark. Would hope to get something in the order about it but may need discussion first. Also hope to get "neither parent will move further than x miles" in the order.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secondary School Choice boyce57 16 11,365 07-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Charlie7000
  Advice about schools proud_dad 2 3,418 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Last Post: proud_dad
  Moved house, schools, impacting arrangements - help RightlyKnightly 0 1,636 10-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Last Post: RightlyKnightly
  Ex moving my kids to different schools cheesy time 6 6,714 05-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Last Post: cheesy time
  Schools and sole residence orders Naive 7 7,089 05-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Tom_W88
  Changing schools adam1980 3 7,144 01-03-2017, 05:07 AM
Last Post: MarkR



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)