Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instructed my solicitor finally – What to expect next?
Good God, so sorry.
Yeah you definitely need help, I can only imagine.
Firstly well done for recording all the calls.
Secondly get a copy of your sons medical record right quick, it will have information on the conversation your ex had with the doctor. You can bet if she's done that she'll be using it. Depending on whats in it you may need to get it changed, I suspect that things written by the doctor about personal circumstances could add weight as "fact"
Keep calm and think straight.

Shit, just shit
5 year old children do NOT talk like that.

Wow! You’re in for a rough ride maybe but the Judges Should see through this.
Spoke to the GP surgery. Looking for my son's birth certificate so that I can find out what the doctors appointment was regarding. Will report back.

Edit: Found it!
Careful buddy, I found some shockers on my daughters' make sure youre sitting down.

Can I also suggest that you be very careful how you ask, your request will be recorded on a permanent medical record, and you can imagine what a negative comment might look like. Especially shortly following whatever the conversation your ex has just had.
Be charming and make it clear you only want to know about dietary requirements and allergies. Don't come off as controlling/intrusive.

Edit: YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE CONVERSATION WAS ABOUT!!!!

Edit 2: just ask a copy of the medical record, you'll get everything, you dont really need to tell them why.
(02-22-2018, 02:33 PM)Naive Wrote: Careful buddy, I found some shockers on my daughters' make sure youre sitting down.

Can I also suggest that you be very careful how you ask, your request will be recorded on a permanent medical record, and you can imagine what a negative comment might look like. Especially shortly following whatever the conversation your ex has just had.
Be charming and make it clear you only want to know about dietary requirements and allergies. Don't come off as controlling/intrusive.

Edit: YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE CONVERSATION WAS ABOUT!!!!

Edit 2: just ask a copy of the medical record, you'll get everything, you dont really need to tell them why.

Thank you Naive,

I just arrived back from the doctors surgery. They told me I had to make a written request – I just wrote that I would like to request my son's medical records including his appointment from yesterday (they confirmed that he had been). I took a photograph of the letter that I had written for my own records.

To be honest I don't hold much hope of getting them given that the ex took my son, and she very likely badmouthed me. Apparently it is up to the doctor if they release the records - It is not a given.

Has anyone here ever been refused access to records (Having Parental Responsibility) and on what grounds could there be a refusal? 

Also surely I should be informed about my son going to the doctors and told what the reasons are? Is that not what PR is all about?

Sorry for all the questions  – I'm trying to keep my mind occupied and be productive.
You have Parental Responsibility - you have a right to know - its not upto the doctor to decide the law.

Phone tomorrow and say you would like to make a complaint to the Practice Manager in the event that your request is declined - I am sure the awesome LTCDad will be able to tell you how to slap them down Wink
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
OK mate, keep calm and think about it, its very likely that they will now contact your ex to find out if theres any legal reason to withhold the records, DV, NON-MOL, risk of harm, even if there is personal data concerning your ex, then youve got data protection laws. So assume that your ex already knows now.

Yes you do have the right to be informed with parental responsibility, however it will always butt against the primary carers ability to make day to day decisions. Ive never seen or heard of anything outside of court to enforce PR.

A templated and legal request to the doctor would have been better but its done now, yes the doctor can refuse but if that happens you'll need to let your solicitor know. The best solution would be for you or your solicitor to send a letter to the Clinical Commissioning Group in charge of your surgery. Youll get it eventually, they would need some serious reasons to withold your PR.

Bloody hell, I knew I saw it somewhere. Its here on this site.

http://www.separateddads.co.uk/write-sch...plate.html
Wow thank you so much guys. All this advice is amazing. Sorry I don't mean to turn this into my blog!

I'm actually thinking of making a video diary from now on as all of this unfolds - You know, just me and my thoughts in the evenings. It might help someone in the future perhaps.
(02-22-2018, 04:07 PM)Sector78G Wrote: Wow thank you so much guys. All this advice is amazing. Sorry I don't mean to turn this into my blog!

I'm actually thinking of making a video diary from now on as all of this unfolds - You know, just me and my thoughts in the evenings. It might help someone in the future perhaps.

Anything that keeps you occupied, helps you focus and helps others is a good idea.
I've been through this with medical records, and the situation is that they have a legal requirement to release them if a DPA request is made to the patient, or people with PR for the patient if they're a child.

What they may do is to go through and edit out things which relate specifically to the other party (in your case the mother), so with me they went through and edited out my ex's address (a bit pointless as I used to live there, but whatever).

You just need to request a full copy of records between date X and date Y, and pay the fee (up to a tenner if I recall correctly). You don't need to give a reason.

As others have said ALWAYS take care to be calm, courteous and businesslike with all medical professionals, as all your interactions go on the patient record.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally light in the tunnel pazzer1973 7 2,138 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: pazzer1973
  Finally got the courage to post Rob74 46 20,445 04-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Last Post: GC1974
  Just Instructed Solicitor - Advice Please RD84 5 2,540 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Hazy
Question It's Finally Happened Paisley1 3 3,578 07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Last Post: johnwtaylor1980