Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capital Split
Hello, not sure if this thread is in the right category or if anyone may help with an answer, but here goes.
I have been separated 3 years and the divorce has been slowly plodding on, we have lived separately for 3 years now, but the split of the capital and house hasn't been agreed despite having decree nisi we don't have decree absolute. I have 2 young children and I pay monthly maintenance for them. My ex works and I work.

My question has two parts, 1) if my ex ran up any credit card debts or loans would I be joint liable for these even if they were in her own name after the divorce papers were served.
2) if I save up any money since the divorce was set in motion even though it is not completed can she claim a share of these savings or is it just the savings we had together prior to the divorce being served together with the house.

Many thanks
(02-13-2018, 10:11 PM)NewHill123 Wrote: Hello, not sure if this thread is in the right category or if anyone may help with an answer, but here goes.
I have been separated 3 years and the divorce has been slowly plodding on, we have lived separately for 3 years now, but the split of the capital and house hasn't been agreed despite having decree nisi we don't have decree absolute. I have 2 young children and I pay monthly maintenance for them. My ex works and I work.

My question has two parts, 1) if my ex ran up any credit card debts or loans would I be joint liable for these even if they were in her own name after the divorce papers were served.
2) if I save up any money since the divorce was set in motion even though it is not completed can she claim a share of these savings or is it just the savings we had together prior to the divorce being served together with the house.

Many thanks

1, Anything she took out after you seperated would be down to her, and not considered.

2, While she can not have a claim on it, any defaults on any bills on both names, and they can come after either of you, for the whole amount. Its not 50/50
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capital Gains? TomTom2468 2 381 08-22-2019, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Fatcat1980
  Capital gains and CMS Payments Mark Yeadon 3 3,326 10-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MarkR