Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintenance on low income
What happens if you can't afford maintenance and afford to live yourself? I'm just experimenting with the online calculater.

Say your on 14000k a year. Say £1000pcm take home.
CM says you pay 48pw so say £200pcm.

RENTING £450pcm min in my area for 1 bed Flat.
Council tax £75
Gas Water and electric £120
Child maintenance £200
Food per month £100 approx
Mobile phone £20
Tv License £12
Commuting or running a Car £££.

So as you can see these figures will just not work and these are survival bare minimums.
What would happen? Just curious. Made homeless?
There are numerous current threads about the utter criminal iniquity of this running at the moment.

The short answer is that in all likelihood you will in time become homeless, face bankruptcy and loose any quality contact with your child(ren) who may well grow to resent the fact that you have no interest in their wellbeing.
It doesn't make sense. Common sense says it should really be based on disposable income.

But I gather CMS don't do common sense. This is what they call "extra money" for the resident parent.
It is precisely this situation that got me interested in the problems NRP’s have.

It is so brutal as it leaving some on manifestly inadequate incomes. The number affected is rising all the time with the expansion of minimum wage jobs and zero hours contracts.

Joseph Rowntree says a single *childless* person ( which is the group you are in! ) needs £17,900 to reach minimum income standard. An NRP needs to earn just over £20k to reach this standard taking into account the paying of maintenance. I have fun on twitter constantly asking them about this and they never reply ... the public at large are unaware of this situation precisely because the poverty organisations DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOU which is criminal. You are hidden away in the single childless people group yet you have costs actual single childless people do not have.

the question has to be WHY is it like this?
Please excuse me reposting this post from my other thread:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps I can rephrase one part of my original post and put it somewhat bluntly.

'Why is the system designed to deny a child their father's full input into their lives. This comes about from a coercive financial view either where so much money is taken from such a small pot as to destroy the pot (often out of spite and nothing to do with the children). or b: where the pot is large enough to 'over provide' the basic needs but any ability of the father to make decisions or contributions directly is subsumed to the fact that they all must be paid to the mother who is firstly unaccountable for any subsequent expenditure and secondly with total disregard to her own abilty to contribute/pay.'

At the lower end (benefits) end of the scale the father is driven to penury and the inability to maintain his status/relationship/independence with his child. At the upper end of the scale and if both parents were on the same income were the mother's income to be included the assumption would be that there was over £400 a week for the child which is firsty nutty and secondly unlikely in my opinion ever fully to be given to the child (even including expensive holidays).

Surely common sense suggests that over and above basic needs (with mothers means taken into account) the father should be able to deduct any sums he has spent on 'qualifying expenditure' - his own holidays with his child for example - from the amount demanded to be paid over.

i.e. (very basic figures)

cost of child per week - £80
mother's means (subtract £40)
balance £40

fathers means = £100 due
£40 paid to cover basic cost of child
£60 left in calculation
SUBTRACT £20 for annual Holiday, £10 for Driving Lesson fund, £5pw school trips, £10 for mobile phone, £15pw pocket money (all 'qualifying' costs/payments).

balance due NIL

Mother says to child (NOT) "Isn't your dad kind, not only is he taking you on holiday AGAIN this year he is helping to build up a fund so that you can have driving lessons when you need them and on top of all that and as well as the money he contributes for your living here he is keeping your mobile phone up to date and on contract and don't forget he give you fifteen quid a week pocket money as well as paying for all your school trips. Thank goodness he and I get on together so well. It could be a nightmare if we didn't".

That is my point
Quoted from a piece on the history of the CSA

‘In the late 1980’s, the increasing cost of benefits paid out to lone parent families was brought to the attention of the then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. This was the beginning of a scheme that started out with the best of intentions, but very quickly fell into chaos, creating financial hardship for thousands of families.

Government had two stated aims—to reduce child poverty and to make non resident parents responsible for the financial upkeep of their children, thereby relieving the taxpayer of that burden.

Ministers initially supported the proposed legislation and its approach to tackling the escalating cost of benefits, , but despite warnings, the focus of the child support scheme was a recovery of money for the Treasury and not the welfare of child/ren’

When they changed the rules and allowed RP’s to keep maintenance on top of benefits recieved they missed a GOLDEN opportunity to stop charging NRP’s what were actually benefit claw back rates and make it fairer.

Today the thresholds at which you begin to pay which starts at income of £7-100 and this has not changed since 1998.
Thanks for the replys! very interesting.

Yes it's a crazy system.

The resident parent gets the maintence plus the tax credits. seems unfair.
(03-11-2018, 06:02 PM)2hanger Wrote: What happens if you can't afford maintenance and afford to live yourself? I'm just experimenting with the online calculater.

Council tax £75
Child maintenance £200
Mobile phone £20
Tv License £12
Commuting or running a Car  £££.

So as you can see these figures will just not work and these are survival bare minimums.

First of all, on a normal tax code with no benefits, on 14k a year, 1166 a month, Take Home Pay is £1066.

Depending on your local housing allowance, you might be able to get some Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.
Also, if your the only Adult living in the flat, you can get a 25% Council Tax reduciton due to that.

I am not sure where you got your Child Support amount from because I worked it out at £43 per week without exceeding 52 nights a year contact, based on 2 children, reduced to £37 if you have 52-104 nights.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(03-12-2018, 07:21 AM)MarkR Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 06:02 PM)2hanger Wrote: What happens if you can't afford maintenance and afford to live yourself? I'm just experimenting with the online calculater.

Council tax £75 (reduced single person)
Child maintenance £200
Mobile phone £20
Tv License £12
Commuting or running a Car  £££.

First of all, on a normal tax code with no benefits, on 14k a year, 1166 a month, Take Home Pay is £1066.

Depending on your local housing allowance, you might be able to get some Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.
Also, if your the only Adult living in the flat, you can get a 25% Council Tax reduciton due to that.

I am not sure where you got your Child Support amount from because I worked it out at £43 per week without exceeding 52 nights a year contact, based on 2 children, reduced to £37 if you have 52-104 nights.

Hi Mark, thanks for the details,

Yes I did based on 2 children - slightly different figures to yours but not that much difference - £37 if you have 52-104 nights. =£148.
The £75 council tax figure is reduced, as would be £110 in my area.
Plus running a car too. Still wouldn't give you much to play with each month, and thats not including any TV or Wifi packages that most households have these days.
You know what I find even more unfair. Even If your Ex was a fat cat earning six figure salaries, you would still have had to pay the same unaffordable amount.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial separation - income Alibash 6 664 10-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Alibash
  High income child benefit charge miker_71uk 3 1,603 09-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Last Post: miker_71uk
  Foriegn Income issues JOHNAQ1 2 1,231 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: JOHNAQ1
  Income and profits from self employment? pretzelzzz 9 3,538 07-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Last Post: warwickshire1
  Sharing my income with ex whilst in same house Riverside78 3 1,619 06-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Hazy
  Confused at CSA making up my income! sammac 13 8,781 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: MarkR
  CSA - reducing net income daddyshortlegs 6 9,096 04-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Last Post: daddyshortlegs