Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He hopped it from the Kangaroo Court!
Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie here and I've just realized that my first mistake was giving myself the username 'Kate'. I know that it probably puts you off clicking on my posts as you'll probably think it's another irrational rant by a woman.  But, I post on behalf of my son, and I have noticed that a couple of people who post here do so in names that are neither male nor female. In fact my real name is androgynous if shortened.

Anyway, my son split with his partner in November 2016. There had been an incident of dv in May 2014, but their relationship continued nonetheless (it began in 2011). Then when she finished the relationship (because she'd met a new man, as he found out a few weeks later), she obtained an ex-parte Non-Molestation Order on him based on the incident in 2014. That must set a precedent of some kind in legal terms - how long after a dv can you keep saying that this person is a danger to you?

So once she got the NMO that was the green light to ring the police. I thinks it's been 10 times since November 2016. He does have 2 convictions from this period for texts he sent trying to reason with her, but what never seems to get taken into account is that he's not some jealous ex who won't leave her alone, he's the father of her youngest child. Even after the NMO was put in place, once she'd split with whatever current bloke she had, she'd be back in contact. The big mistake he made was that he got a CAO in March 2017, but then he started seeing her again. She has 2 older children and, surprise, surprise, neither of their fathers have contact with their children.

She applied to extend the NMO issued in Nov 2016 (ex-parte, of course!) and the dozy Family Court extended it for 2 years!. He's contested it, but when hit with a bill for £800 for Police reports by her solicitor on the day of the hearing in front of a District Judge, he just lost it and walked out with a few choice words! I think he did pretty well to get his case up to District Judge level without legal representation, so it's a shame he blew it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have money to throw at this.

He had just given up at that point, but now we've had papers saying that the District Judge thinks it's "necessary and proportionate" to carry on with this and wants a statement from her and a response from him by 23 March and that there'll be another hearing on 10 May. He's not seen his son for 9 months now, even though he has a court order. 

If his son ever finds us, we'll explain that we did try to fight to see him.

My main worry now is that now he's been beaten down, will the judge award the costs of this contention of the NMO against him?  It's mainly the NMO that's preventing contact with his son.

I wish everyone on here all the best. There are some truly heartbreaking stories.xx
Wow NMO on an incident that happened in 2014. I couldn't even get the police to act on a dv of common assault that happened 6months ago bk in 2016)

I just filed my statements as the applicant after the appeal.
Hated doing it with the solicitors as it brought bk horrible memories.
I too feel beat down, especially financial how much this mess is costing.

I wish u all the best too. Chin up is u still have one left
(03-23-2018, 06:46 AM)asd1270 Wrote: Wow NMO   on an incident that happened in 2014. I couldn't even get the police to  act on a dv of common assault that happened 6months ago bk in 2016)

I just filed my statements as the applicant after the appeal.
Hated doing it with the solicitors as it brought bk horrible memories.
I too feel beat down, especially financial how much this mess is costing.

I wish u all the best too. Chin up is u still have one left

Thanks asd. I've been reading posts on this site for a few months now and when people post regularly it's easy to see how this Family Court system is beating people down.

In my son's case it's because he was granted a CAO for access in March 2017 even though there was a NMO in place. He was on good terms with her at that point, so it was all resolved quickly. Fast forward a couple of months and a fall out and then the NMO is used to keep him at bay (as one poster on here put it) and stop all contact with his son. In her application for the NMO in November 2016 she states that she's in "imminent danger". So imminent that it took her well over 2 years to apply for it!

Just one instance how in these courts, the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing.

Frustrating and exhausting - not to mention expensive if you are engaging a solicitor to act for you. 

Thanks for your good wishes. I hope you have a good outcome with your court process.