Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing close to my children?
Question 
Ok so this is my first post but found this websight and had to join as could do with some advice from men in same situation as me
I was with my ex partner for just over 2 years and we have a little boy who is 18 months and she has a girl aged 4 who sees me as her dad and I see as my own
We split up over a year ago now and despite trying it now looks like we wont be getting back together
when we split I moved back to my parents house in xxxxx and she and the kids stayed in xxxxx
Now that it looks like we are not getting back together I obviously want to move to be much closer to my children but as live in xxxx don't know if I will be able to get a council place in xxxxx to be close to my children
Don't work at the moment due to my bad depression and dr has even said its made a lot worse by being so far away from my kids
so has anybody else been in same situation? or can anybody help with any advice at all?
Hi sorry to hear about your situation. Im not entirely in the same position as i have purchased my own home and never actually moved in with my ex, which was a stroke of luck.

Firstly what contact arrangements do you have at the moment? Or what arrangements do you think you will or can have if you were closer? Are things amicable between you at the moment and how does your ex see things? Obviously not working at the moment means if you were closer it would be better for you to see them but that all depends on the situation with your ex. Most completely change once you have split.

As for getting a council house, i would quite doubtful of that happening. A single male is at the bottom of the list when it comes to homing even if you were homeless which thankfully you are not and staying at your parents. Even if you got staying contact with the kids then that would make little difference, they would still see you as a single male. You will always be pushed to the back of the queue because of the lack of housing. There is people on here that should be able to give you more advice from experience though.
Housing for non resident parents is not good, Not good at all but not impossible.

If you aren’t working and on a low income housing benefit rules would only pay for a room in a shared house if you are under 35.

Otherwise all you may be offered is a 1 bed flat. But some with a CAO order can get another room depending on the council’s policy but you may be subject to the bedroom tax.

Further issue would be the habitual residence test where you have to live in an area for x amount of time before they even consider you.

Look up the Housing Policy of the Council in the area you want to be.
Are you seeing the children at all and are things reasonably amicable with an agreement to see them? Assume they are and that's why you want to move closer to see more of them. This may be a time thing. Depression will pass hopefully within the next few months - are you having any medication or CBT? CBT can help with your current situation and help get you in a better place. When you're more back on your feet you can think about looking for work in the Essex area - and meanwhile try and have phone contact and have the children come and stay with you at your parents - at least every other week-end and half the school holidays - if your ex will agree to that. Does she?
(03-28-2018, 03:29 PM)Hazy Wrote: Housing for non resident parents is not good,  Not good at all but not impossible.

If you aren’t working and on a low income housing benefit rules would only pay for a room in a shared house if you are under 35.

Otherwise all you may be offered is a 1 bed flat. But some with a CAO order can get another room depending on the council’s policy but you may be subject to the bedroom tax.

Further issue would be the habitual residence test where you have to live in an area for x amount of time before they even consider you.

Look up the Housing Policy of the Council in the area you want to be.

First of all, as the member has named locations, we need to be very carefull what is said as this could be brought up in a Family Court Case.

For a Local Authority to hep you with housing, you need to have a local connection, that being Working or Living in an area, what i think is for 3 years in the last 5.

If you have an existing Social Housing place, you might be able to swap, but because as far as law is concerned the children "live with" you ex, you will only get what bedrooms you need. To be clear on this, under The Housing Act when looking at overcrowding, short term relatives do not count. Each child needs its own bed, but only children of the other sex, aged over 10, can not share a room with people of the other sex. Use of a living room (without a gas fire in it) is fine as a sleeping area.

You have the right to claim housing benefit in any area you want, but your claim will be limited due to your age, and also how many rooms you need.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Good point about the locations. Grand1987 I have edited the locations out, if you don't mind. The meaning still comes across that they are further away and you want to move. You might also want to check if your username identifies you and if so, change it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm close to deserting my son Sadman2016 6 6,431 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Charlie7000
  Housing for a single dad with 4 children mark35leeds 9 19,237 04-15-2016, 10:31 PM
Last Post: mark35leeds