Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online dating
The other day I had an impulse come right out of nowhere and joined an online dating site. Odd thing to do because only a couple of days earlier I had decided it was definitely NOT the thing to do at all and I think for the time being at least it's right. I'm not sure why I did it. Maybe it's to get a feel for what life is going to be like after divorce. I have been chatting to some women and one thing they say is it's a minefield and it's been a steep learning curve for me. Here's something one of them told me. I thought I would post it here in case it's useful information. This is what she told me:

You seem one of the good guys, but trust me most are not what they look like on their profiles. If you look are looking at other sites, give Plenty of Fish a wide berth, Match.com is full of hackers and scammers and The Times, Telegraph, Saga, Classic FM, plus a few others are all Dating Lab so don't waste your money doing any others if you are on one of them. This is the best of a bad bunch, but the majority of members are Home County based and many won't travel.
Everyone has an opinion... works for some people ... not for others... go in with your eyes open

Enjoy life, meet new people, share interests, do things you've not done for a while ... doesn't really matter how you get to that happy place or if you use a website or not!

Think of it as meeting a 'friend' for a coffee... not this is my future wife... if it works out go for dinner, if not shake hands and move on
"Being a good father, for its own sake, does not require your ex to see it or agree"
My friend tried one of the local newspaper dating sites, it was small and more personal, not much choice but the ones he did meet were genuine. Sounded good to me but then he is in his late 40s and still likes an older woman.

Id definitely repeat what LTCDAD, just go in to meet people and make friends. I always imagine you have to be pretty strong and in a good place as it could be one hell of an ego bash if youre looking for validation.
I tried internet dating once, but I kept getting disconnected and "404 - Not Found"
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
Chatting is all I'm doing. Not even considering going on a date. More exploring this whole new world. A lot of the women seem to be pretentious and high maintenance and a lot of the men - from what I've been told - rude and give a false impression on their profile. The decent women seem to go in hopeful and get disillusioned. It seems to me if we're honest, polite and choose carefully the likes of us are in with a chance if it comes to it. I think you're right about the ego bashing and validation problem: I think the way round that is to choose carefully in the first place. If you read some of the profiles it's clear that no man is going to match up and the only sensible thing is run for the hills and don't look back. That's probably what the husbands did.
my experience is women are looking for perfection all the time.
(04-20-2018, 11:52 AM)GC1974 Wrote: my experience is women are looking for perfection all the time.

Well here I am !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3T8FmyeE8

My favourite song of all time. The mantra of my youth.
Anyway just reminded me because it has a line "I want the perfect wife, but perfect aint quite right"
More than 50% of the people getting married this year will have met online. It's not some weird unusual thing to do any more.

If anything it's a much better way to weed out incompatibilities before you're too deep. My profile said "No tories", nice and simple. It also said "I've got two kids and I'm pretty busy". It also said I was vegan and really didn't;t want to date anyone who wasn't at least vegetarian.

In one fell swoop I got rid of the 95% of people I would not want to date Smile
(04-20-2018, 12:22 PM)Tamagoto Wrote: More than 50% of the people getting married this year will have met online. It's not some weird unusual thing to do any more.

If anything it's a much better way to weed out incompatibilities before you're too deep. My profile said "No tories", nice and simple. It also said "I've got two kids and I'm pretty busy". It also said I was vegan and really didn't;t want to date anyone who wasn't at least vegetarian.

In one fell swoop I got rid of the 95% of people I would not want to date Smile

Vegan? even Im going off you now
Health, wealth, environment, animal cruelty Smile Oh and Buddhists tend to be

But, unless I've missed you signalling, we're not going on a date any time soon? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dating (in my dreams!) advice needed Jim 6 1,939 01-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom_W88