Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you worrying a lot? Dealing with anxiety...
Hi Folks

I guess a lot of people here will go through anxiety at some point, I know I had it bad recently and I thought I'd share what I found out:

Symptoms of Anxiety (tick em off...) 
  • Difficulty falling or staying asleep and tiredness
  • Thumping strong, fast or irregular heartbeat
  • Pins and needles (tingly fingers and toes, in my case a numb face too)
  • Fidgeting
  • Muscle aches and tension
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Going to the toilet a lot
  • Dry mouth
  • Excessive sweating
  • Shortness of breath
  • Stomach ache or feeling sick
  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Restlessness
  • A sense of dread or rumination
  • Feeling constantly "on edge"
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Irritability
Amongst other things its caused by over activity in areas of the brain involved in emotions and behaviour and an imbalance of the brain chemicals serotonin and adrenaline, which are involved in the control and regulation of mood. Essentially your body is in an enhanced state of 'FIGHT or FLIGHT'. The body isn't designed to sustain this for long so it can make us really ill (physically and mentally) if we don't get on top of it.

Self help - fortunately we can do much ourselves:
  • Read a book or go to a website so you can learn about it, just knowing its a thing helps.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Avoid coffee/caffeine.
  • Learn relaxation techniques (some here do meditation, maybe read up on stoic or positive mind-sets)
  • Cut down or stop drinking, drugs and smoking.
  • Join a self help group.
  • Keep yourself busy and your mind occupied, anything, work, hobbies, movies. Being alone and getting done-over leaves too much time to ruminate.
  • Learn the 90 second rule (bad news elicits a 90 second response in the body, don't fight it, go with it and let the bad emotions was over you, I do this and just cry for a minute or so every now and again, usually in private, I'm a 6'3" ex-squaddie)
  • I'd say stay at work, for reasons of self worth.
  • BUT - if its so bad its affecting other areas of your life then seek medical help.
Lots of websites and advice available online including the NHS, it tends to be called Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Knowledge is power....
I got bad enough to go to the GP - I had sleeping pills, diazepam and anti depressants. Stopped using the Diazepam first, then he sleeping pills after a few months and stayed on the ADs until about 3 weeks ago. I also went to see a private therapist for about 6 months.

Not worth suffering in silence, everyone suffers, you, your friends, your family and especially your children.
(04-24-2018, 03:52 PM)Mr Sandman Wrote: Really glad someone posted about this.  I have been following nearly all of this advice and it really helps.

If there are people in the London area who are suffering in silence then get in touch.  I want to start a social group, and so perhaps one based around those of us feeling anxious is a good way to go -  especially as, for a lot of people, getting out and about is such an important part of feeling better.

Hi Folks

I guess a lot of people here will go through anxiety at some point, I know I had it bad recently and I thought I'd share what I found out:

Symptoms of Anxiety (tick em off...) 
  • Difficulty falling or staying asleep and tiredness
  • Thumping strong, fast or irregular heartbeat
  • Pins and needles (tingly fingers and toes, in my case a numb face too)
  • Fidgeting
  • Muscle aches and tension
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Going to the toilet a lot
  • Dry mouth
  • Excessive sweating
  • Shortness of breath
  • Stomach ache or feeling sick
  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Restlessness
  • A sense of dread or rumination
  • Feeling constantly "on edge"
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Irritability
Amongst other things its caused by over activity in areas of the brain involved in emotions and behaviour and an imbalance of the brain chemicals serotonin and adrenaline, which are involved in the control and regulation of mood. Essentially your body is in an enhanced state of 'FIGHT or FLIGHT'. The body isn't designed to sustain this for long so it can make us really ill (physically and mentally) if we don't get on top of it.

Self help - fortunately we can do much ourselves:
  • Read a book or go to a website so you can learn about it, just knowing its a thing helps.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Avoid coffee/caffeine.
  • Learn relaxation techniques (some here do meditation, maybe read up on stoic or positive mind-sets)
  • Cut down or stop drinking, drugs and smoking.
  • Join a self help group.
  • Keep yourself busy and your mind occupied, anything, work, hobbies, movies. Being alone and getting done-over leaves too much time to ruminate.
  • Learn the 90 second rule (bad news elicits a 90 second response in the body, don't fight it, go with it and let the bad emotions was over you, I do this and just cry for a minute or so every now and again, usually in private, I'm a 6'3" ex-squaddie)
  • I'd say stay at work, for reasons of self worth.
  • BUT - if its so bad its affecting other areas of your life then seek medical help.
Lots of websites and advice available online including the NHS, it tends to be called Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Knowledge is power....
BUMP

Mental Health Week.

My work's done a few things but so far I haven't taken part.
Here’s some apps from Peace Not PAS for monitoring mental health

https://peacenotpas.com/apps-download-page/
make a Plan!

have something to look forward to whether its with the kids or with your mates

I do 4 weekly shift patterns so my time is already pretty scheduled, but I also try to plan few things with kids ahead even if its just a visit to a new / different place, an activity or a night out with my mates

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety Notsohappybutnotsosure 6 4,321 02-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Last Post: StartingLifeAgain
  Hi and Pre-Seperation anxiety......advice? NorthernViking 4 3,248 01-13-2017, 03:29 AM
Last Post: jamesbond