Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Reading
Hi everyone

There are lots of recommended reading suggestions across various threads/categories and Tamagoto has proposed a sticky thread for "recommended reading".

This is the sticky thread and below is just a handful of the titles that have been recommended already. Can we ask that you don't include Amazon links so that all booksellers have a fair chance (though we know you'll probably all go to Amazon and type in the titles anyway  Wink )
  • Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-To Book Hardcover – 26 Dec 2017 by Jeffrey Warren, Carlye Adler Dan Harris
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do - by Amy Morin
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life Hardcover – 13 Sep 2016 by Mark Manson
  • The Obstacle is the Way: The Ancient Art of Turning Adversity to Advantage Paperback – 4 Jun 2015 by Ryan Holiday  (Author)
Great stuff, I'd add:

Buddhism for Breakups by Meshel Laurie - Nero (7 Sept. 2017)
Ego is the Enemy: The Fight to Master Our Greatest Opponent by Ryan Holiday - Profile Books (7 July 2016)

and I'm sure other fathers have resources that have helped them
In case reading also includes audio and video content -  definitely recommending thoughts of  Alan Watts, one of the greatest 20th century philosophers
He gives great perspective and philosophy of OUR OWN life - and can be great guide how to strengthen yourself when suddenly you have to redesign your life from the scratch.

One great speech/video to start with is Playful universe.
It is made by one of the fans, combining Alan Watts speech with great video and audio content.
Really recommended... (warning - it can easily make you cry).... The rest can easily be found on Youtube.

Alan Watts - Playful Universe
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this as its a watch, not a read. But I watched a documentary a few weeks back that really touched me.

Its not about divorce or separated dads or anything, more about the pressures that men are under but struggle to acknowledge or deal with.

Its called The Work.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5836866/?ref_=rvi_tt
For anyone interested in Buddhist philosophy, but not necessarily keen on religion, the Secular Buddhism podcast is a great intro. I find the concepts outlined here really help when things get difficult. Episode 2 of the podcast on the causes of suffering is particularly useful.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/secu...1071578260
Great book on understanding and managing your inner chimp - "Recognise how your mind is working, understand and manage your emotions and thoughts, manage yourself and become the person you would like to be."

The Chimp Paradox - Prof Steve Peters
Started reading The Subtle Art Of Not Giving a F*ck....

enjoying it so far....he makes some good points.....not sure how easy it is to put them into action, but its definitely food for thought...

one of the points i found most interesting (potential spoiler alert) is how he says you have to accept that the things you want most are also going to be the things that give you problems.....

e.g the well paid job you want will generate stress, your loving partner will also be the person you argue with, the house you bought will also need to be worked on and cost you money....

basically achieving what you wan't doesnt lead to simple happiness.......
(05-04-2018, 11:43 AM)Tamagoto Wrote: Great stuff, I'd add:

Buddhism for Breakups by Meshel Laurie - Nero (7 Sept. 2017)
Ego is the Enemy: The Fight to Master Our Greatest Opponent by Ryan Holiday - Profile Books (7 July 2016)

and I'm sure other fathers have resources that have helped them

Thank you for the recommendation of Buddhism for Break ups, started a couple days ago and now almost finished it and have found it really helpful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social workers recommended supervised contact, wife being unreasonable knigh7 3 1,612 06-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Last Post: knigh7
  For your reading pleasure notadeadbeat 2 1,377 05-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: notadeadbeat