Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divorce and separate savings
Hi

I've been married 22 years and my wife told me about 15 years ago she wants separate savings accounts which I reluctantly agreed.
We both have worked over the time and use one account where we both contribute equally to pay outgoings. We have 2 kids, one that is a minor.
Over the years I saved my money whereas she hasn't. I also took on a weekend job so I can save for future. I now have accrued a lot more than the wife has. The money I saved is for my children so one day I can assist them with a house/business.

I help my children in terms of education, activities and values, whereas the wife does very little.
She recently made a large purchase, (though I asked her not to as it would impact holidays etc.) and now she wants me to make a larger contribution to the outgoings from my savings (I am no longer in work).
When I disagreed she requested a divorce and said she wants half the house and half my savings.
I am under the understanding that my savings are considered 'marital property', but in my circumstance she is being unethical.
Can the wife claim a 50% stake of my savings under this situation and would she get it ?
With regard to my child (minor), she wants Shared Custody, however I think the child should spend more time with me as I help my child more.
Any advise appreciated.
Yes she can and she likely would get it - its martial money unfortunately unless you can prove otherwise (eg you had it BEFORE the marriage)
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
Savings, house, pensions etc all go in the pot for splitting.

As you are no longer working and will share care (or more) of the youngest you may well have. A better chance of a 50/50 clean break type split depending on the figures of course. She could get the house and you keep your pension and savings for example if values are similar.

She is still working?

Hopefully you haven’t moved out yet and won’t until things are agreed.
(05-16-2018, 12:36 PM)Hazy Wrote: Savings, house, pensions etc all go in the pot for splitting.

As you are no longer working and will share care (or more) of the youngest you may well have. A better chance of a 50/50 clean break type split depending on the figures of course.  She could get the house and you keep your pension and savings for example if values are similar.

She is still working?

Hopefully you haven’t moved out yet and won’t until things are agreed.

Hi
Wife is still working.

About the Share Care, am I in a better position by not working ?
I do the school run at the moment.

I think the wife wants to move out.
Incomes are taken into account as well and your ability to sustain yourself after divorce.

Mind you. It is very hard to second guess what the two of you will agree or a judge decide. There is no one size fits all formula.

You had what would be considered a long marriage which may go in her favour.

Sadly mothers get residency 92% of the time as our courts are stuck in the 1950’s but you have a chance of 50/50 if it is workable for you. She will likely not agree though so be prepared for that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any way to reduce personal savings account prior to divorce? shambolic 2 460 02-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Last Post: shambolic
  Savings sc0tland 4 2,199 01-31-2017, 09:59 PM
Last Post: MarkR