Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mediation coming up any advice?
Hi everyone, 

I have a nearly 10 month old son with an ex partner (we were never officially an item) and she has denied on several occasions the opportunity to have him stay with me which has lead to me starting the mediation process (6th June). Since he was born I’ve been travelling up 2 weekends a month, she lives in Sunderland which is a 160 mile journey each way and I have to stay in a hotel for the duration. I pay my maintenance every month.

She’s cut off contact since I instructed a mediator and even refused to send me a picture on my birthday which I thought was a bit harsh. She’s arguing that she doesn’t think its in his interests to come and stay with me as he is too clingy with her, doesn’t like being confused etc. She’s been spoilt her whole life and is extremely difficult person to deal with and will do anything to get her own way.

Do those arguments or her opinion bare any weight? My mediation is next Wednesday I’m trying to weigh up my chances. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
At ten months its a hard push.
Things to consider, do you have parental responsibility? [on the birth certificate]
Is she still breastfeeding?
You might have to build up the daytime a bit more before overnights.
(05-30-2018, 03:03 PM)Naive Wrote: At ten months its a hard push.
Things to consider, do you have parental responsibility? [on the birth certificate]
Is she still breastfeeding?
You might have to build up the daytime a bit more before overnights.

Yes he has my surname and I'm on the birth certificate. She never breastfed. I have been going up there 4 nights a month do you think they'd continue making me go up there?
If you live 160 miles away and he is less than a year old, I think it's unlikely you'd get regular staying over contact. So it probably would be a case of making the journey. Even if she's not breast feeding it's a long journey. Is there any chance you could relocate nearer? If she is difficult then staying over contact probably wouldn't be ordered until he is over 2 years of age.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First contact session coming up ALFIE137 15 13,816 10-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: warwickshire1
  Advice needed after mediation broke down ALFIE137 11 11,693 08-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: ALFIE137
  About me - coming clean Charlie7000 5 6,074 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Petem
  Advice needed on court after mediation? j1801 11 15,327 04-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: mcnl