Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newly separated and finance problems.. HELP
Hi all,
So a few months ago found out my partner had been seeing someone else for a few months, we tried to sort it out but she called it a day saying she doesnt love me anymore.
We live in rented house and only her name on the tenancy but the landlord knows i have been living there for the last 15 years and is happy with that.
My problem is affording some where to live where my kids can come and stay,
 i took out a large loan to cover debts that she had accumulated just under a year ago ( she has always been bad with money) and i now cannot afford a place to rent on my own and she has also said im not allowed to take any anything from the home  other that my clothes...

Is there anyone who can guide me to get help with housing and this debt???? it was manageable when we lived together but going it alone is making it difficult to be able to rent somewhere let alone get the deposit..
(08-09-2018, 05:01 PM)steve76 Wrote: Hi all,
So a few months ago found out my partner had been seeing someone else for a few months, we tried to sort it out but she called it a day saying she doesnt love me anymore.
We live in rented house and only her name on the tenancy but the landlord knows i have been living there for the last 15 years and is happy with that.
My problem is affording some where to live where my kids can come and stay,
 i took out a large loan to cover debts that she had accumulated just under a year ago ( she has always been bad with money) and i now cannot afford a place to rent on my own and she has also said im not allowed to take any anything from the home  other that my clothes...

Is there anyone who can guide me to get help with housing and this debt???? it was manageable when we lived together but going it alone is making it difficult to be able to rent somewhere let alone get the deposit..

Under the law, you are entitled to anything from the house you can evidance you have title to, for example a reciept showing your payment card used.

I advise you only pay Child Support as per CMS. There is a good chance this loan payment can be considered in the calculation.
Unless you have signed paperwork to say otherwise, its down to her to pay her rent. She can claim Housing Benefit and Tax Credit as a single person.

Your local Shelter or CAB is a good starting point for advice.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
local council websites offering homes, housing agencies etc will all be a good place to start.
As MarkR said if you can evidence that the debts were hers you may get a reduction in you child maintenance payments.

If you are in London contact Dadshouse who may be able to help with housing. If you are under 35 years old the council may only offer shared accommodation.

If you get a place go to a debt charity like Stepchange where your essential living costs will be prioritised before debt repayments and debt repayments reduced and interest reduced or frozen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newly separated father Ferraro-Adams86 0 611 07-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Ferraro-Adams86