Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintenance = Access
I realise there are many fathers worse off than my situation but I’m just after some advice - 3 year old, previously ameicable relationship with married ex. Currently have him 2/3 nights a week overnight and an evening for dinner agreed at start of every month. Currently pay £33 per week on time, no issues.

Have recalculated maintenance taking into consideration number of nights I have him, and the other child that lives in my house and it’s gone down to £25 per week. Ex is now saying I have to see child less (once a week) even though routine has been in place for well over 12 months because I’ll be paying her less

Who’s in the right or wrong here?

Thanks
You're in the right: access to your child has nothing to do with how much maintenance you pay. A court would not be impressed at what she has done given the routine that has already been established.

I assume you've used the online Child Maintenance Calculator to work out what would be a suitable amount? If your ex doesn't like it, she can contact the Child Maintenance Service and ask them to consider it. On your side, if she won't reinstate the previous arrangement then apply for mediation, and if that is unsuccessful then go for a Child Arrangement Order in the Family Court.

You could point out to your ex that access to your child is not something that you 'buy', and that if money for him is her overriding concern then logic suggests that you should be shouldering the burden by now having him even more than before!
It would probably be easier to just pay what you was originally paying and then contact will continue as normal. If she cuts your contact down and you have to go to court , it could cost you a fair few thousand
(08-10-2018, 09:49 AM)William2016 Wrote: I realise there are many fathers worse off than my situation but I’m just after some advice - 3 year old, previously ameicable relationship with married ex.  Currently have him 2/3 nights a week overnight and an evening for dinner agreed at start of every month. Currently pay £33 per week on time, no issues.

Have recalculated maintenance taking into consideration number of nights I have him, and the other child that lives in my house and it’s gone down to £25 per week. Ex is now saying I have to see child less (once a week) even though routine has been in place for well over 12 months because I’ll be paying her less

Who’s in the right or wrong here?

Thanks

The way forward is Mediation, but do not agreed to anything less that what you had.

If this goes to Court, after a deadlock letter, the starting point is her having to show good reason to change things, and money is not a valid reason in court.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.