Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex's Partner is a violent drug addict - What can I do?
Hi all

Looking for some advice, my ex partner starting dating a new guy 6 weeks after our 11 year relationship ended. As you can imagine I was absolutely devastated as I was hoping we could have sorted out but it never happened.

Next I had to fight to see my 2 boys as I was made out to be a violent maniac, however this is all in the past as was around 2 years ago now and I currently see my boys 2 nights per week after going through legal proceedings.

Now approximately 3 months ago my ex partner and her new partner split up and he continually harassed her at home (Where my boys are living) for 2-3 months. This all came to a head when he she had to get him arrested. He was arrested for assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, possession of a cocaine and also for harassing my ex and the boys. This all happened around 5-6 weeks ago and my boys came to stay with me physically shaken and upset by his actions (It took 14 police to restrain him).

The problem I've now got is that she is back with this person, I've made my feelings clear to her that I want the boys to be in a safe and stable environment and not around a violent drug addict, but other than that what else can I do?

I am considering speaking to a solicitor but wanted to ask everyone's advice before incurring legal costs.

Thanks

Matt
You can launch a Prohibited Steps Order at the court, which you can do yourself (self-representation).

Or a Claires Law application Smile
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
(08-10-2018, 11:11 AM)invisibleintellectual Wrote: You can launch a Prohibited Steps Order at the court, which you can do yourself (self-representation).

Or a Claires Law application Smile

Thank you for your advice, I have just been advised from a family member about using Claire's law so I might persue this. Just hurts a lot knowing my ex partner is happy to have someone like that in her life
Claires Law is for people on the Sex Offenders Register (or ViSOR database - the Violent and Sex Offenders) so they COULD appear there
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
They might already know about it but it's worth reporting it to social services as a matter of urgency. You may eventually be able to use this to apply for more time with he kids so keep detailed notes of dates and times of everything you know (that you know, not think)
(08-10-2018, 01:10 PM)Tamagoto Wrote: They might already know about it but it's worth reporting it to social services as a matter of urgency. You may eventually be able to use this to apply for more time with he kids so keep detailed notes of dates and times of everything you know (that you know, not think)

Thank you and that is the long term goal to get the boys 50/50 and we already keep a diary of incidents etc. At the time the agreement was done when we first split up, I wasn't in a position to have them 50/50 due to a mental breakdown and being single but now I have been in a solid relationship over a year and we all have a great time when the boys come. My new partner has a child herself too and we are able to give them a safe and enjoyable place with us, they never seem to want to go home either and as a father it just breaks your heart there isn't much you can do about it
I wouldnt get a solicitor , its likely there wont be much u can do about it? U could ring social services up for a chat its highly likely they already know about everything that happened 5/6 weeks ago. If police turn up and children are present they normally inform social services straight away but could be worth a ring to see whats going on and also shows u are child focused and concerned. they may have closed the case or things might be happening that you dont know about , social services could be on your ex partners case for example.

another thing to add which is common. ex partner could of told social services they are split up now and he no longer comes round house. their concern would mainly lie with him and if he was visiting house they may do something about it possibly. definitely give them a ring