Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little advice, please.
Hi all,

Just after a little advice or hearing from someone who has been in a similar situation.

My ex-partner (not married) and I have recently split up and we had a child together (15months).  She also had two other children from a previous relationship.  

We were together for roughly 3 years and I have a close bond with her two children.  However this has decreased with some of the arguing that has been happening.

We tried to sort out access between ourselves, however this has proved problematic.  She won't let me take my child to see my family, unless they apologise to her (for something they didn't do).  I suggested mediation to see if we could resolve issue but now I'm being stopped seeing my child until mediation is booked and completed.  This went down like a lead balloon and was accused of 'throwing my toys out my pram' because I couldn't get my own way.

Has anyone been through a situation like this before?  How did it play out and did it go all the way to court?
(08-12-2018, 04:11 PM)ForestFan Wrote: Hi all,

Just after a little advice or hearing from someone who has been in a similar situation.

My ex-partner (not married) and I have recently split up and we had a child together (15months).  She also had two other children from a previous relationship.  

We were together for roughly 3 years and I have a close bond with her two children.  However this has decreased with some of the arguing that has been happening.

We tried to sort out access between ourselves, however this has proved problematic.  She won't let me take my child to see my family, unless they apologise to her (for something they didn't do).  I suggested mediation to see if we could resolve issue but now I'm being stopped seeing my child until mediation is booked and completed.  This went down like a lead balloon and was accused of 'throwing my toys out my pram' because I couldn't get my own way.

Has anyone been through a situation like this before?  How did it play out and did it go all the way to court?

Its not her deciision to make on what you do, assuming you have PR. Your on the same legal standing as she is, until a Child Arrangements Order is made, where you then outrank her in the time the court puts the child in your care.

You will need Mediation, and for her to no show, or them to declaire "Deadlock" before you can go to Court.

Until the child is 2, you should get along the lines of 4-6 hours a week, what would be over 1 or 2 days.

From 2, the normal starting point is every other weekend, and up to half school holidays. You can make a case if mid week contact is workable.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.