Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who pays for travel?
Good evening, 

I’ve been back and forth In court over the past couple of years regarding my two children, I’ve always and ever wanted custody as I’ve not believed for a long time that my EW was capable of taking my care of my children properly.

I managed to get an interim order early in June as was advised by social workers late in May to keep the children in my care.

I moved away from my home town 4 years ago and live roughly 80 miles away from my EW, Now I have the children living with me, Im wondering should she pay for half of my fuel travel costs in the future taking and picking the children up? 

The XW doesn’t work or drive which leaves me at the judges mercy when I’m in court next. I also have to take into account that she has three children from relationships after I left the marriage.

Whats your take on this guys?
Well i would say she would have to pay half or even arrange a way of collecting children herself from you. It is very nice of you to drop them off and collect them so at the very least she should pay half of your fuel. What would she do if you didnt want to drop them off or only wanted to pick up or drop off it would cost her money anyway .

Basically you seem child focused to me as if you didnt want to pick or drop them off i guess she would not make an effort to see your children anymore Sad
In an ideal world my EW would pay for half of my fuel to drop off and pick up the kids, Her barristers argument could be that I would be putting her other children into financial hardship by taking any money from her at all considering she’s on benefits.

I posted a thread on Mumsnet earlier on today, A couple of women tried to tear me apart for wanting to take my kids to private tuition and fund other extra curricular activities, They seemed to think that I’d rather watch other children go hungry while my two were able to have the lifestyle that they want.

My ex wife would more than likely still want to see the children if a judge ordered her to make her own way and back home, The only reason I would want to do the driving is I couldn’t watch my kids jumping on and off of trains as I would worry to much about if they got to their moms safe and sound.

It’s a tricky one ?
Hi. Same situation.
1: kids went away during school holidays. Have transferred her £150 with ref money for children plane tickets, brother in law transferred her another £180. So she endup traveling for free.
2: have payed 700£ for bringing back kids (me and 3kids). Asked her to contribute she has refused. Stating what I have not contributed for her flight. ( I can prove with my bank statement)

Always I am ending a bad guy. It's just going to mutch, I can see her needs is above children and 50/50 contribution is not happening.( Dont have solicitors letter, but from what I can see she is always is willing to take not to give).

Can't wait to receive a letter and go to court. Now getting stressed and depressed as we still live together.
Your home environment sounds Toxic brother! If I we’re you I’d be making tracks to be living on your own.

I can’t really advise you in which way to go with your situation, Giving away money to your ex wife whom you live with sounds sticky.

You’ll always feel as though you owe her while you live with her.
(08-12-2018, 07:33 PM)MichaelZ Wrote: Good evening, 

I’ve been back and forth In court over the past couple of years regarding my two children, I’ve always and ever wanted custody as I’ve not believed for a long time that my EW was capable of taking my care of my children properly.

I managed to get an interim order early in June as was advised by social workers late in May to keep the children in my care.

I moved away from my home town 4 years ago and live roughly 80 miles away from my EW, Now I have the children living with me, Im wondering should she pay for half of my fuel travel costs in the future taking and picking the children up? 

The XW doesn’t work or drive which leaves me at the judges mercy when I’m in court next. I also have to take into account that she has three children from relationships after I left the marriage.

As far as the law is concerned, it is up to the Non Resident Parnet to pay the cost of this, and do the transporting.
The fact is that she can claim a reduction from Child Support, for her contact travel costs, with the first £10 being disregarded.

If you are on any means tested benefit (Tax Credits, Housing Benefit etc), bring it up in court, that its not fair on your having to pay the cost while the state is topping up your income.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
A family court judge probably wouldnt pity your ex at all especially with social services siding with you. If anything you are bending over backwards to make sure your children see their mum. If you want her to pay half thats what she will have to do just like if you didnt want to do all the driving it would be down to her to arrange to pick them up. I can see that you are happy to do all the driving , but just wanting her to contribute half towards travel which is more than reasonable.
(08-12-2018, 09:39 PM)MarkR Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 07:33 PM)MichaelZ Wrote: I am on means tested benefit at the moment but shouldn’t be for to much longer, I hope your right in saying the non resident parent is responsible for transporting the children from A-B I will however considering she doesn’t drive be willing to do the carting about for the sake of our children not getting cold Ect in the winter.

i don’t think she should be able to get away without contributing something towards fuel, She would if she could I’m sure. 

Good evening, 

As far as the law is concerned, it is up to the Non Resident Parnet to pay the cost of this, and do the transporting.
The fact is that she can claim a reduction from Child Support, for her contact travel costs, with the first £10 being disregarded.

If you are on any means tested benefit (Tax Credits, Housing Benefit etc), bring it up in court, that its not fair on your having to pay the cost while the state is topping up your income.

(08-12-2018, 10:07 PM)warwickshire1 Wrote: A family court judge probably wouldnt pity your ex at all especially with social services siding with you. If anything you are bending over backwards to make sure your children see their mum. If you want her to pay half thats what she will have to do just like if you didnt want to do all the driving it would be down to her to arrange to pick them up. I can see that you are happy to do all the driving , but just wanting her to contribute half towards travel which is more than reasonable.

(08-12-2018, 10:52 PM)MichaelZ Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 09:39 PM)MarkR Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 07:33 PM)MichaelZ Wrote: I am on means tested benefit at the moment but shouldn’t be for to much longer, I hope your right in saying the non resident parent is responsible for transporting the children from A-B I will however considering she doesn’t drive be willing to do the carting about for the sake of our children not getting cold Ect in the winter.

i don’t think she should be able to get away without contributing something towards fuel, She would if she could I’m sure. 

Good evening, 

(08-12-2018, 10:07 PM)warwickshire1 Wrote: A family court judge probably wouldnt pity your ex at all especially with social services siding with you. If anything you are bending over backwards to make sure your children see their mum. If you want her to pay half thats what she will have to do just like if you didnt want to do all the driving it would be down to her to arrange to pick them up. I can see that you are happy to do all the driving , but just wanting her to contribute half towards travel which is more than reasonable.

I could be a complete and utter idiot by asking her to pay the full costs of fuel, I wouldn’t sleep at night thinking her other children were going without. 

I’m to soft I think.

Who knows!
I dont think you are too soft, you just seeing the best out of the situation and being thoughtful.
Children are seeing their mum and you are a massive help so look at it as you are doing it for them.
I honestly am not thinking one iota about my ex wife, You can be sure if the shoe was on the other foot I’d be travelling up and down the country on the train to pick my children up.

My car is for my children’s comfort ?

Thank you for showing that you understand I’m willing to be reasonable, Those women from MumsNet went crazy on me earlier on for using the words women, employment and bum in the same sentence lol

I meant no harm or directed any abuse towards the opposite sex, You know how feminists can be though haha