Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any advice on how to contact child after mother moved away and took her..?
Hi, just wondering if anyone out there could offer some advice?
My partner has a child by a previous partner; they were not married, and after they separated the mother moved away and took the child, without leaving a forwarding address.  After many years of trying to contact her, my partner is desperate to get in touch with his daughter, so that she can choose whether she wants to have contact with him.  She is now 13 years old; he hasn't seen her for over 10 years now.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and managed to get contact?  We know where they live (street name but not number) and which school the child attends, but we're not sure if it would be a good idea to try and approach the child, as she may not even know that her father exists...  But trying to contact the mother would simply alert her and give her the opportunity to convince the child that she shouldn't have any contact with her father (even though there is absolutely no reason for this)...
Any advice at all would be truly appreciated. 
Many thanks in advance. :-)
(08-30-2016, 12:32 PM)Becks76 Wrote: Hi, just wondering if anyone out there could offer some advice?
My partner has a child by a previous partner; they were not married, and after they separated the mother moved away and took the child, without leaving a forwarding address.  After many years of trying to contact her, my partner is desperate to get in touch with his daughter, so that she can choose whether she wants to have contact with him.  She is now 13 years old; he hasn't seen her for over 10 years now.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and managed to get contact?  We know where they live (street name but not number) and which school the child attends, but we're not sure if it would be a good idea to try and approach the child, as she may not even know that her father exists...  But trying to contact the mother would simply alert her and give her the opportunity to convince the child that she shouldn't have any contact with her father (even though there is absolutely no reason for this)...
Any advice at all would be truly appreciated. 
Many thanks in advance. :-)

Hi Becks and welcome to the Forum. While this is for Separated Dads, we are more than happy to advise in situations like what your in, or where we consider our opinion is in the best interests of a child.

A key fact is not in your post, Does he have PR? While he was not married, depending on year of birth, he might have PR, or it could be in place by being named on birth certificate, or by other formal agreement/Court Order. Without this, he has no legal standing.

If not PR, then he needs to apply to court for it. As you do not know the door number (and its better if you do not at this stage as well become apparent later in this post), you get a "Whereabouts not known" form from court. They will trace her via Police, DVLA, NHS, NMRC, Benefits Agency or any other Government or Local Authority Agency.

With PR, you have a legal right to be keep informed by Schools (often they can send newsletters, let you buy any photos taken in school, and arrange a separate parents night appointment).  You also have a legal right to know Medical Information, what is normally the Doctor the child is registered with, as well as any treatment being provided anywhere else.

In terms of seeing her, under "Whereabouts not known" rules, he can apply for a Child Arrangements Order. If he knows her full address, there would be the need for Mediation first.

In his application, given the child age (being over 10), he can ask the court for a "Wishes and Desires" report. This will involve Cafcass or a Social Worker specking to the child, without any parent present (normally done at school).

My view at this stage, due to amount of time, is perhaps letters/email, moving on to phone calls, then short visits of 4-6 hours before moving towards a typical contact situation of Friday to Sunday every 2 weeks, and up to half school holidays.

I do not know if he is paying Child Support, but you need to be aware if he is not, while in law it has no bearing on right of the child to see both parents, it might be incoming. Here is a link, note its only Income he has what is considered, not your income, or any welfare benefits you get as a couple. The calculation would take into account any dependent children living with you as a couple, as long as you or your partner get child benefit for them. All aspects can be reviewed any time a considered part changes. http://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Hi all,

My estranged wife took by child away from hospital after discharged and deny me access to my daughter. I applied for a contact order and prohibition step order.Date has been fixed for the first hearing

Please I need help on what I will expect at the FIRST HEARING DISPUTE RESOLUTION APPOINTMENT(FHDRA)

Do I need a lawyer with me at this stage? will CAFCASS visit me before the first hearing or after? where can I find experience and cheap family lawyer to represent or guide me? Huh

Thanks

Aniedi
(08-31-2016, 04:06 PM)Aniedi Wrote: Hi all,

My estranged wife took by child away from hospital after discharged and deny me access to my daughter. I applied for a contact order and prohibition step order.Date has been fixed for the first hearing

Please I need help on what I will expect at the FIRST HEARING DISPUTE RESOLUTION APPOINTMENT(FHDRA)

Do I need a lawyer with me at this stage? will CAFCASS visit me before the first hearing or after? where can I find experience and cheap family lawyer to represent or guide me? Huh

Thanks

Aniedi

You do not need a Solicitor at any stage. If you can afford one great, but most of us on here Self Represent. Its not Policy for us to recommend one to you, as in the past we have had people trying to use this forum as a way to find clients, for services they provide.

If Cafcass has already been put in, they will of wrote to you saying what the court has asked them to do at this stage. At the first hearing, the Judge will decided if a deal can be done, or if not, what reports or statements he/she wants. You will get a least 2 weeks before you have to file anything asked of you. You also have a legal right to respond to anything anyone else files, but your local court protocol will set when that has to be done by. In most places, its 9am the day before, as Judges sometimes read a case the day before they hear it.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mother changing agreed contact arrangements Sadman2016 5 3,970 09-16-2020, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Charlie7000
  Advice plz mother works within crts Ty121 9 10,410 10-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Last Post: TheDetective
  Mother changing contact as she pleasws kettleman 15 15,217 08-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Last Post: kettleman
  2 year old child - mother limiting my time with him - please help dadloveshisson 1 3,020 05-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: MarkR
  Mother has Relocated with Child without iforming anyone Jackson07 3 4,448 12-16-2017, 01:36 AM
  Advice needed re contact and ex who has moved away!! Contact issues 4 5,611 11-09-2017, 01:07 AM
  Need Some Advice About Kids And Their Mother draddict 8 9,738 10-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Last Post: LTCDAD
  Mother refusing contact because I am flexible working Flexibledad 5 7,890 03-16-2017, 05:47 AM
  Help needed - Contact Order being ignored by the Mother sloth 11 17,318 02-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Last Post: sloth
Wink Worried for child's safety with mother stephbond89 1 4,526 11-27-2016, 06:51 PM