Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Required
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been posted before but really need some advice.

I have been with my ex partner for 12 years (not married) and we have two young children together. My ex partner has never worked so is not on the mortgage or any bills, except on the council tax.

There is about £10k in my savings account.

I need to know what she is entitled too in terms of the house and savings please? Is it a straight 50% split or is she entitled to any more or less?

Thank You
(09-07-2018, 08:23 AM)jamesharris1966 Wrote: Hi All,

I have been with my ex partner for 12 years (not married) and we have two young children together. My ex partner has never worked so is not on the mortgage or any bills, except on the council tax.

I need to know what she is entitled too in terms of the house and savings please? Is it a straight 50% split or is she entitled to any more or less?

Thank You

Firstly, congratulations on not being married to her, it's gonna get messy but you'll get shafted a lot less than some of the poor bastards on here are because you never put that ring on her finger (same as me).

What's the tenancy agreement on your property? 

Are you joint tenants or tenants in common with an agreed share each?

I'm going through very, very similar at the moment (although mine is on the mortgage, earns a small salary & does contribute towards costs, albeit a fraction of what I do). I've spent 2 hours with a solicitor so far so can share some opinions depending on your tenancy. There's also the children to consider but lets get the tenancy thing out of the way first.

I've attached a document that I pulled from a UK solicitors website a few months back, when this all kicked off, about cohabiting partners & property (unmarried) & it gave me a good, initial insight into where I possibly stand.

Attached Files
.docx   Cohabitation.docx (Size: 20.55 KB / Downloads: 1)
(09-07-2018, 10:33 AM)DanDad Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 08:23 AM)jamesharris1966 Wrote: Hi All,

Thank You

Firstly, congratulations on not being married to her, it's gonna get messy but you'll get shafted a lot less than some of the poor bastards on here are because you never put that ring on her finger (same as me).

What's the tenancy agreement on your property? 

Are you joint tenants or tenants in common with an agreed share each?

I'm going through very, very similar at the moment (although mine is on the mortgage, earns a small salary & does contribute towards costs, albeit a fraction of what I do). I've spent 2 hours with a solicitor so far so can share some opinions depending on your tenancy. There's also the children to consider but lets get the tenancy thing out of the way first.

I've attached a document that I pulled from a UK solicitors website a few months back, when this all kicked off, about cohabiting partners & property (unmarried) & it gave me a good, initial insight into where I possibly stand.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean by the tenancy agreement. I bought the property, its solely in my name as are all of the bills. She currently lives in the house with me although we have separated. She does not want to remain in the area and has said she wants to move back to her parents with the kids next week, this is some hours drive away.

Hope this helps. I am trying to determine how much equity she is entitled too.
If it's solely in your name she's never contributed anything to it then I'd be inclined to say fuck all (don't quote me on that though).

If her intention is to move back to her parents & take your children then I'd be focusing more on coming to a child care/access agreement & how you would make it work given the proposed distance. Even as an unmarried father, you have equal parental responsibility provided that your name is on the birth certificate (after 1st December 2003).

I'd suggest looking up a local, family law solicitor as most will give you a free, initial telephone consultation (usually up to 30 mins). That will at least give you an idea (it's exactly what I did).
(09-07-2018, 11:41 AM)DanDad Wrote: If it's solely in your name she's never contributed anything to it then I'd be inclined to say fuck all (don't quote me on that though).

If her intention is to move back to her parents & take your children then I'd be focusing more on coming to a child care/access agreement & how you would make it work given the proposed distance. Even as an unmarried father, you have equal parental responsibility provided that your name is on the birth certificate (after 1st December 2003).

I'd suggest looking up a local, family law solicitor as most will give you a free, initial telephone consultation (usually up to 30 mins). That will at least give you an idea (it's exactly what I did).

Thanks mate, appreciated.