Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spousal Maintenance
Hi,

Is my ex entitled to spousal maintenance? We were never married but do have two children together.

Thanks.
No, not if you are not married. Only child maintenance.
Yep, I'll back this.  If you're not married, you do not need to maintain your partner.  I was with mine 13 years.  Dozens of people have been quick to assure me that we are now "common law" husband and wife.  There's no such thing!  

https://www.advicenow.org.uk/articles/introduction

In the first ten minutes of my first session with my counsellor, 3 days after our split, she said.. "the best thing going for you at the moment is the fact that you aren't married."  How right she was.
(09-10-2018, 02:17 PM)Fatcat1980 Wrote: "the best thing going for you at the moment is the fact that you aren't married."

I'm barely 3 months into my split, still living under the same roof with her & our 2 boys, & I've learned a lot over this time & never a truer word has been spoken than that!

CMS payments, yes. Spousal payments, no.

She really thought she was going to screw me over when this kicked off in June but with every day that passes she's learning that's not necessarily going to be the case & I'm thinking "thank Christ I never married her" more & more.
That’s great news, thank you
Great news for now. The law will change on this, but not in the near future. Millions of couples are cohabiting. in my case, she never wanted to commit so she only has herself to blame now.
That’s great news, thank you