Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do you dress
dear fellow dads, 

I'm preparing for first hearing for children access and contact arrangements in Oct. Slightly weird question - what is your experience what physical appearance in terms of what you wear should work best for such court hearing ? I know that the whole court environment is bit intimidating with lots of solicitors and judges in their absolute tip-top ! But i have also heard family court hearing is bit informal ? Would be nice to hear your experience of what worked and perhaps what didn't.

Sean
Not the first time this issue has come up here! You should find this thread useful: http://www.separateddads.co.uk/forum/thread-6099.html
My partners ex turned up in her 'slut' heels and off the shoulder dress today.

There were men in tracksuits.

My partner wore a suit, shirt, tie. I wore a smart dress, low heels, smart jacket.

I have no idea what to think these days! I'd have said smart attire tbh.
In family court you dress smart and what you feel comfortable in. It is better not to wear tops with writing on but like animal superdry for example. but just plain if you can. trainers or shoes are fine.
I wore a bespoke 3 piece suit - but that’s what i wore to work then so.... wear something clean, smart, dark, nonwriting. Black shoes, trainers fine, but black either way. Polo shirt and chinos would be fine if you want to be relaxed Smile
I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with go be as smart as you possibly can. That means formal trousers and shirt and jacket and if its a suit even better. But you need not necessarily go with a tie: it's accepted that you don't always need to wear one. Personally, I wore a black plain t-shirt under a formal (Pierre Cardin don't ya know!) jacket and trousers with formal black shoes.

I used to work in the public sector and go out and give presentations/go to meetings on behalf of my organisation. It was always suit and tie when doing that because I felt I represented the public and I wasn't going to turn up in trackies with no shave.... my favourite look (!) when repping them, I'd save that for Sunday morning recovering from a hangover with a fried breakfast and Sunday Brunch on E4 with my fat 'arris vegging out on the sofa!

You're representing your child, so one day you'll look back and say I did my best for them. I'm thinking about what to wear now and I'm not in court until next month! Sad I know!

And yes, people hang round courts in grey trackies and all kinds of gear. Normally those there to cop a fine off the magistrates. That ain't you!
thanks all for the great feedback. that really helps as I will be shopping for nice black shoes. I have a sneaky feeling it won't be one-off appearance at the court ! Smile

sean
Lol!

Keep that sense of humour and good luck, let us know how it goes!
(09-14-2018, 08:04 AM)SeanS Wrote: thanks all for the great feedback. that really helps as I will be shopping for nice black shoes. I have a sneaky feeling it won't be one-off appearance at the court ! Smile

sean

I bought a smart new suit, shirt tie etc with black shoes. I figured with all the money I was spending on lawyers, a few hundred quid to look like I was taking it seriously wasn't a bad idea.
I would be the most well dressed person at my work place if I had spent all that solicitor money on my wardrobe. So yes couldn't agree more. Thanks marwood.