Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what age....
At what age can a child decide who they want to live with? Just had a meeting with my ex in laws and they have stated they will want my children to live with them after their daughter passes (terminal illness) and they have said it will be up to them. I stood firm during the meeting and said that won't be happening as they don't have the choice until they are 16? Is this correct?
You're the parent. If you have parental responsibility and they don't, which I imagine they don't, then the children will live you.

There isn't a set age at which a child can decide or rather their views be taken into account but it is around 12. But courts will listen to a child with the welfare checklist in mind.

That's the simple answer but it does assume some of what I mentioned, parental responsibility etc.
(09-14-2018, 01:17 PM)RockAndAHardPlace Wrote: At what age can a child decide who they want to live with? Just had a meeting with my ex in laws and they have stated they will want my children to live with them after their daughter passes (terminal illness) and they have said it will be up to them. I stood firm during the meeting and said that won't be happening as they don't have the choice until they are 16? Is this correct?

This isn't the 1930's....

If it was between two divorcing parents then when they are teenagers their views are taken into account. As you are the surviving parent then it is 100% you who will look after the kids. They would have to prove in court that you were some kind of abusive monster for you to not get custody.
Big Grin

Blunty but oh correctly put Mr Sandman!

But some grandparents and - as you know, lots of mothers - seem to think this is the 1930s. Apparently childcare and child-rearing is such a complicated and difficult process thst us poor football-loving crotch-scratching men just could not possibly ever manage it and when the mother isn't available, the grandparents get first dibs. But they don't treat kids as possessions do they?!
I have been told this by my ex a number of times. She used to make comments all the time and said that if anything happened to her i would have to fight her parents for my daughter. I just laugh at her and let her continue to believe what she wants. If they want to believe it then they will be in for a surprise if it happens.
i would ignore her your exs parents. they need a serious reality check haha. way they are carrying on i wouldnt even bother speaking to them. children live with you already and they will remain with you whatever happens.