Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The C Word
I know 'that time of year' is a little while away yet but is it just me or is anyone else dreading it?

Its a time i always associate with family.

The thought of it is giving me shivers. . .

Logistically its going to be the enemy who has my daughter for the majority of it. In her dads massive house, surrounded by sisters, brother, nieces and nephews, open fire, massive tree etc. . . Big expensive presents . . Loads of space to run around . .

I cant compete . .

I feel lonely just thinking about it . .

What a mess . .
I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen for Christmas this year & yes, I'm also dreading it (although my current circumstances are no-where near as depressing as yours).

We're all still living under the same roof currently, I can't see the equity agreements, the house being sold & new house(s) purchased any time before the end of this year so I guess we're just going to have to make seem as much like "business as usual" for the sake of the boys.

Her family (with the exception of her Dad) haven't even spoken to me in the last 3 months & no doubt she is going to ask her Mum, her Sister & likely her Niece over on Christmas day. I feel like I'm public enemy #1 to them so awkward isn't even the word for it.

This is also likely to be the last Christmas where my youngest still believes in Santa so I hope she & all involved can work to make it as painless as possible.
I've got Christmas day all on my own and I am *so* looking forward to it it's untrue. No hassle with relations I don't like, I don't need to fill the house with plastic shit and decorations that clutter the place up. I think I might go for a walk along the beach and maybe have a little gin on the end of the pier :Smile won't have to cook a massive meal that makes me feel ill either Smile 

My kids are coming to me boxing day morning and we are having christmas eve #2 that evening, presents on 27th and an all round relaxed and laid back time.

Think - what benefits have you got from things being this way? What's actually better this time? What stresses do you nowt have to deal with?
my kids are a little older but im going to say they stay at their mums Christmas day and Boxing day and ill take them to the sales the following days...
i just get messed about year on year and its all to her tune...well ill not be messed about this year

not anymore!...my self and my partner are going to have lunch alone deep joy Smile
I dunno, i guess its just nice to wake up in your own house, next to your wife and daughter. Instead of in your childhood bedroom on ya todd. .

Hearing East 17 and Mud pouring out the radio. .

No breakfast Bucks Fizz as i'll be driving . .

Couple of spare crackers staring at me . .

Etc

Gin on the pier sounds nice though
(09-17-2018, 10:11 AM)Tamagoto Wrote: I've got Christmas day all on my own and I am *so* looking forward to it it's untrue. No hassle with relations I don't like, I don't need to fill the house with plastic shit and decorations that clutter the place up. I think I might go for a walk along the beach and maybe have a little gin on the end of the pier :Smile won't have to cook a massive meal that makes me feel ill either Smile

Each to their own I guess, people treat Christmas very differently.

Personally I like to fill the house with plastic shit & decorations, play all the shit songs, cook a huge meal with all the trimmings (never made me feel ill) which is exactly how I grew up (my parents are still together after nearly 50 years of marriage) & like to think I've done my best to keep up the family tradition.

Bollocks to spending Christmas day on my own, ever!
Ah but if you are going to spend it on your own anyway - why not make it something you enjoy, rather than something you resent? Life is too short to be miserable about stuff we cannot change (turns out that's roughly 99.99999% of everything)
Gents - Christmas is a conceptual battlefield, you can either fight a losing battle (generally) against an enemy who is better skilled, better equipped, has more experience and has the tactical advantage, short of Charles Dickens providing artillery support we're fucked.

OR we can practice asymmetric warfare. By that I mean re-shape the battlefield and the battle itself into something that can not be fought or won in any traditional way.

I'm not even going to try and compete on traditional terms; the ex and her fancy-man live in a traditional house in a traditional village next to the church, but what I can do is Christmas day MY way, so a party maybe, invite my friends and relatives, maybe a Xmas tea with a difference, invite some people round I wouldn't normally have invited. So I will have a nice Christmas day.... And then do presents on a different day and a dinner on a different day.

Isn't always easy if the separation isn't complete though...
What he said Smile
I don't give a f**k about Christmas. She has suggested taking the kids away on holiday. I said "fine". She later suggested I might come too but I ignored her. Like, WTF?

If she takes them away, I'll go and see my mum and my own family for once on Xmas day. Failing that, I'll go cycling with my cycling club and do what I please in the afternoon. I'll be very glad not to have a Christmas day in the ordinary sense.

Sorry to be all Bah Humbug, but I just despise the commercial side of Xmas and I'm not religious. The only thing I like is slowing down a bit and meeting up with friends in the weeks beforehand. Then I like getting it out of the way and moving on with life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Next to the word 'Hypocrisy' in the dictionary is a picture of my STBX Gra76 58 11,020 12-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Jim