Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping physically fit - Meet more women & be strong and capable for your children
Hey folks - most of us have been in some sort of long term relationship, had children and in some way been 'put back on the shelf'. I don't know about you but in the 10 years I was with my ex wife, I definitely let myself go a bit. I put on weight, lost strength etc. Now I'm single again I want to look my best, feel my best.

I am 2.02m & 104KG. That's a BMI of 25.4.
I was 118KG, BMI 30.1

I ride 50K per day and do strength training at the gym 3-4 times a week. My watch tells me my BMI every time I look at the time. I get on the scales every day and have done for 5 years. The scales talk to my phone and gives me a trend. I have healthy food delivered from AllPLants every 2 weeks for my dinners and I eat Huel for lunch (Skip breakfast).

I will be 95KG when this is over.

[Image: IMG_1545.png]

Three main reasons:

- To be strong for my children so I can play with them, take them places and not be held back by my body
- So I can be in relationships with attractive women, if that's for one night or the rest of my life
- So I can rub my exes nose in it a little bit at pick up time!

How do we do this:

- Get some good exercise every single day
- Create a routine. You don't ask "Am I going to the gym this lunch?" - you just go. Every damned time
- Eat better. I'm vegan, you don't have to be but it sure as hell makes it easy to eat healthy food. Like, really easy. Even meat free Mondays will help you.

Resources:
Nike running app (free, Android & iPhone)
Nike work out app (free, Android & iPhone)
Nokia Smart Scales
Apple Watch
Lean Gains
Cheap, healthy regular deliveries of nutritious food from AllPlants
Get Huel delivered (£10 off) to your door

(The food links are both referral links, if you buy something though I'll stick a tenner donation over to Childline instead of taking it myself ok?)

What can I add to this guide to make it useful for all of us?
Well, over the past 13 years - the length of my relationship - I've generally stuck with the gym and cycling. I do some running but not much, plus a bit of swimming.  Obviously at times I took my foot off the gas.  I definitely ate more through contentment/boredom I guess.  I was nearly 83 kg when we split up and 173cm, but few people would've seen me as overweight.

I'm now around 76kg and, even though the shock of the split is long gone, that weight is staying off.  I wish I was cycling more but I'm juggling a lot.  As long as I'm around all week and weekend, I'm getting a couple of rides in. Perhaps 60 miles a week.   I may start riding to work once or twice a week but the dark months are coming, unfortunately.

I eat lots of fruit and veg.  I keep my meals small.  I like to have a banana milkshake before I leave the house. I get to the gym for 7.30ish and don't eat breakfast until afterwards.  My diet hasn't been great recently, but over the past fortnight I've begun to clean up and I'm experimenting with cutting out most diary and reducing my meat consumption.

My ex is about to move out and we're going 50/50 on the kids, so the gym will be a partly pre-work thing, partly lunchtimes.  I also, believe it or not, have a gym in the garden - pull-up bars, dip bars, rings.

I gave up using weights about 4 years ago.  I now focus on body weight exercises, calisthenics and MovNat (natural movement), which includes handstands, headstands, crawling etc.   For body weight, I do handstand push ups, one-handed handstands, pull ups, dips, chins, L-sits, hanging leg raises etc etc.  To make it harder, I use a weight belt.  I'd recommend subscribing to FitnessFAQs if you're interested.  I can't ever see myself going back to old-school weight training now, which I did for nearly 20 years.  I feel much stronger, I've seen my build change to a more natural shape, and I get injured less.  I do occasionally do shoulder raises and curls with weights because I actually love the exercises and just fancy doing them.

I don't have to force myself to go to the gym these days.  I'm seeing results and am completely motivated.  I'm about to go this lunchtime and can't wait. I take time off at the weekend because it's convenient and you shouldn't train everyday, but if I've missed time during the week I'll get out into the garden and have a go.
Anyone else got any methods to keep in the right shape?

Even if you just do it together laid and not drop dead that's enough reason right?
Good post and i was the same. being back in the singles market i decided it was time to get in shape again for my mental well being and also the added bonus of looking good to rub the ex's nose in it. I ended up losing 3 stone and looked and felt better for it.

This then helped in the dating world as i dated some worldies which again had the added bonus of getting right on my ex's nerves and she used to throw a double 6 about it and we had some interesting arguments lol.

I study wing chun material arts and also got back back into running which i found to be an excellent help for my mental needs as i could put the headphones on and just get lost for an hour or more and come back refreshed and used to use the arguments and anger to file my runs.
I ride a bike a few times a week, and generally just do core exercises such as planks and stretching most days. I use Strava most times on my phone when cycling - have done about 3000 miles so far this year. Just make sure you don't start Strava right outside your house so people don't come and pinch your bike!

I get wrecked from sciatica when exerting myself -the stretching and core exercises seem to help, but weights and high impact stuff tends to strain me

I have gone from 77kg to 67kg, I'm quite slim, about 5'10, still have a huge weakness for sugar - ate 6 fingers of kit kats today, yum!

Women I dunno, I just don't seem to have the energy or confidence (I dunno really what's stopping me) to get out there... guess it will come in time. Tbh I'm enjoying my own company at the moment anyway.
For me I go through ups and downs. When I'm single I hit the weights, do some cardio, eat loads of protein packed red met and my testosterone goes through the roof, my shoulders get massive, my gut firms up and I'm literally like a bull on heat. Then I meet someone and I start eating out more, exercising less, lose shape and put weight on.

Interestingly when my current GF is no more I'll also be aiming at being single for a while, I enjoy being fitter and need to make it stick rather than doing it for three months and then slowing down/stopping....

My training is a simple three times a week, push, pull, legs, followed by abs and a short cardio, supplemented by one or two (or none) longer cardio sessions. My big focus needs to be diet going forward, more vegetable and fish based protein, less carbs, cutting out the less natural foods. I'm 50 now and am well past the point of being able to eat what I want without worrying about the effects... weight has gone from 18st 3lbs (married) to 16st 2lbs (single) and back up to 17st (in a relationship)....
I’ve definately taken the foot off the gas when in a relationship which is the thing that worries me the most. Or the thing I’d like to avoid the most.

Not sure the best way though as I’m fairly sure it’s based on how attractive I need to be!
(09-25-2018, 09:18 AM)Tamagoto Wrote: I’ve definately taken the foot off the gas when in a relationship which is the thing that worries me the most. Or the thing I’d like to avoid the most.

Not sure the best way though as I’m fairly sure it’s based on how attractive I need to be!

Hey Tam - that's exactly the thing isn't it, one of the benefits for me of ending it with my current GF, is getting back to the gym. Its interesting when you are out and about you can now spot the single people a mile off.... I didn't even know that was possible until recently, but lo and behold look at the way people dress, how fit they look, how the hold themselves, its obvious....
If we're talking exercise programs, check out the Convict Conditioning series - pretty much all bodyweight stuff, very effective and very little gear past a pull up bar required. Kettlebells are worth checking out too, easier to store than barbells / benches etc. Get a dog and take him for a run every day.

My advice from a (now) fit guy who can't stand gymns ;-)
(09-27-2018, 02:15 PM)wilfred Wrote: If we're talking exercise programs, check out the Convict Conditioning series - pretty much all bodyweight stuff, very effective and very little gear past a pull up bar required. Kettlebells are worth checking out too, easier to store than barbells / benches etc. Get a dog and take him for a run every day.

My advice from a (now) fit guy who can't stand gymns ;-)

Bodyweight is the way forward!  But I use a weight belt now at times to increase the load.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need a strong solicitor who can save me from fake allegations bitterending1818 3 1,367 03-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Charlie7000
  Why women divorce men ohitsonlyme 26 10,538 09-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ohitsonlyme
  My ex emotionally and physically abusing our sons MarioPl 3 2,617 02-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Last Post: MarioPl