Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of Representing Self at Final Hearing
I have my final hearing at the family court in a few weeks time. Was going to take a barrister but my solicitor has just quoted me £2,000 for the day.

The items to be covered by the court order are as follows:

Christmas access arrangements.
Overnight stay on Thursday night (before the weekend they are not with me)
Overnight stay on a Tuesday night (after the weekend they are not with me)

I see my kids every other weekend from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. I also see them from 5pm to 8pm on the Tuesday at the moment.

Went to mediation, agreed some of the above points, then my solicitor wrote to ex's solicitor to confirm and she has completely changed from the agreement. So going to have to go to court for a full hearing rather than to get the court order signed.

I just can't justify spending £2,000 on a barrister. Just about to start financial process so saving the money for that (and the fact that my business is in serious trouble and I may not be getting paid from next month).

Starting to feel like it is going to come down to who can throw the most money at it will get the decision they want. And feel like using that as the opening line to the judge.
No dont get a barrister. this is why? You are at a final hearing and with some help on here you should be able to get what you want and a little research yourself. I think you will struggle to get overnights during week but worth a go. i would try for the one before your weekend overnights ( tuesday one ) commence. christmas contact you will definitely get . i am getting 3pm xmas day until boxing day, ex partner has the christmas eve and children waking up to their stocking. there isnt really much a barrister can do to the tune of £2000 as you got a lot of access already in place. your ex will probably already agree xmas bits but will fight hard to stop midweek overnight contact i am guessing. if things are very hostile you could change fri pick up from school - monday drop off at school.

Is contact 5pm tuesday and friday due to work commitments and being unable to get to school? you might get one of the two overnights if you fight hard for it, if it goes to judges decision they try to please both parties. christmas arrangements i would imagine be sorted out fairly quickly
Thanks, had a chat with my girlfriend last night and I think it is a case of choosing your battles.

Definitely going to represent myself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final court hearing after completing supervised contact. What do I expect? bianworld 1 867 04-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Last Post: bianworld
  Final hearing thelongroad 3 1,261 01-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Last Post: thelongroad
  Final contested hearing - LIP. Not been asked to prepare anything by the court. TheDetective 5 1,382 12-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: invisibleintellectual
  what happends after the final hearing, avadad 3 1,351 11-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Last Post: asd1270
  Final hearing - Postilion Statement MarkyB 1 755 10-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Last Post: invisibleintellectual
  Equal residence following final hearing CFC 4 2,005 08-31-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: nicosey
  final hearing , whats going to happen avadad 2 1,502 05-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Last Post: avadad
  final hearing statement help avadad 6 2,706 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: RD84
  Directions to final hearing? Cheese_head_1986 5 2,356 03-27-2018, 10:33 PM
Last Post: warwickshire1
  I just finished my statement for the final family court hearing **Update Tamagoto 11 5,214 03-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Tamagoto