Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Photos
My daughters are aged 11 and 14 and I have just been told by their school that they have said they do not want me to receive their school photos any longer...can they do this at their age??

I have not seen my daughters in almost 8 years since my ex-wife moved with them 350 miles away.  Despite numerous visits, i have been told by her that I'm not welcome.  I still write to them every fortnight and send Christmas and birthday presents down without fail and I've only received one thank you note in 8 years.  I have joint parental responsibiloty and I relied on the school pictures to see my girls grow up.  I'm devastated.
The 14 year old probably can, but the 11 year old can’t. Have a read of the Department for Education’s official advice for schools on issues relating to parental responsibility - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...onsibility. Under ‘Legislation on information sharing’, the advice makes clear that, “children and young adults can assume control over their personal information and restrict access to it from the age of 13.” (It emphasises that this does not cover a pupil’s educational record, but photos will be considered as “personal information”.)

I would write to the school asking them to justify their decision; you might want to quote the advice about 13 being the crucial age. The school’s defence will probably be that your children are 'Gillick competent' and of sufficient maturity to exercise their will in this matter. However, while this could be justified for your 14 year old, withholding a photo of an 11 year old would be hard to stand up in court given the official advice.

Given that you have parental responsibility, you should also apply for a Child Arrangement Order as soon as possible to guarantee some access. This sounds like a pretty clear case of parental alienation, and the court won’t take kindly to your ex’s attitude.  As you haven’t seen them for so long and the oldest one is now at an age where her views will count for a lot it won’t be easy, but a court should certainly grant you access to your 11 year old, starting with small amounts and building up over time. There are plenty of people on this site who can give you more advice on going about this.
(10-16-2018, 02:45 PM)Jonah Wrote: My daughters are aged 11 and 14 and I have just been told by their school that they have said they do not want me to receive their school photos any longer...can they do this at their age??

I have not seen my daughters in almost 8 years since my ex-wife moved with them 350 miles away.  Despite numerous visits, i have been told by her that I'm not welcome.  I still write to them every fortnight and send Christmas and birthday presents down without fail and I've only received one thank you note in 8 years.  I have joint parental responsibiloty and I relied on the school pictures to see my girls grow up.  I'm devastated.

If your happy with your current arrangements, I would advise not to get a CAO.

The reason for this, is until a CAO exists, having PR you are on the same legal standing as your ex, and you need to inform the school that.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photos with partner and daughter kettleman 3 1,973 08-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Last Post: warwickshire1
  Photos with child kettleman 5 3,319 02-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Last Post: kettleman
  access to school photos and school reports Monners 6 4,303 11-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Monners